Monday, May 27, 2019

EASY APPLESAUCE-SPICE CAKE

We have been getting so much rain this spring. I just saw from the Kansas City Star newspaper that we are just one inch from setting a record for the wettest May on record. Fortunately for us in Kansas City it has just been rain and the storms have not brought any damage. All of Missouri and the midwest have not been so lucky though. There have been so many tornadoes and areas are dealing with so much flooding. The good news is everything is so green without having to water the lawn. I'm sure later this summer, we will be wishing for some rain, but right now, I'm ready for more sunny days. Our family in CO is still having snow storms. I know they are ready for a change.

One thing that hasn't changed is my weekly volunteering at HPC Thrift Shop (Hillcrest Platte County). It is my second family. After volunteering there for seven years, it is a really big family made up of not just the volunteers but the shoppers. We have shoppers who come in every day. I know some of their names but not everyone's - just like I don't know the name of all of the volunteers. We have over 200 different volunteers, but it is also because I always worked downstairs in the old shop and wasn't ever introduced to the volunteers upstairs. They are the ones I know their faces but not necessarily their names. Some of them call me "the lady who brings the good things to eat".

I usually take what I consider the easy way out and make treats that don't need to be iced. But last week I felt a little more industrious and chose this Easy Applesauce-Spice Cake that called for a frosting.  It actually called for a canned frosting with a little cinnamon added, but I only had a chocolate one; so I just decided to make a buttercream frosting and added a little cinnamon to it. Amazing what a difference the little cinnamon makes. But anyway, the volunteers really enjoyed it and there were only a few crumbs left in the pan (that I quickly scooped up and enjoyed).

I found the recipe in a cookbook, 1001 Community Recipes - Easy Everyday Favorites that I bought at the last estate sale Friend Janice and I went to. I have marked quite a few recipes to try from this cookbook so you will probably be hearing about it a lot.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.




EASY APPLESAUCE CAKE

1        box spice cake mix
3        eggs
1-1/4  cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3     cup oil
1        cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and lightly dust with flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


Combine the cake mix, eggs, applesauce, and oil in a large mixing bowl on low for about 30 seconds.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and
increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
Stir in the nuts.


Pour into pan and spread out evenly.


Bake for 40 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on wire rack.



CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1/2    cup (1 stick) of butter, room temperature
2       cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2    teaspoon vanilla
1-3    teaspoons milk
1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon


Beat butter until soft and fluffy.
Slowly add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth.
Add vanilla and milk and beat to spreading consistency.
Add cinnamon and
stir til blended.



Spread over cooled cake. 


Cut into squares to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment