Friday, May 10, 2019

OVERNIGHT COFFEE CAKE

It seems like I have made an overnight coffee cake before but didn't wait until the next morning to bake it. I didn't take the time to check because I figured it was probably a different recipe anyway. When I took it to the thrift shop Tuesday morning after baking it and told Volunteer Laura what I had brought, she said she had a recipe for one. Then she said it had sour cream in it. That did it. I didn't remember the recipe exactly but I did know it did not have sour cream in it.

This recipe was from Cathy Lemoyne from Ontario, Canada and was in a Gooseberry Patch Quick & Easy family favorites. I haven't bought many cookbooks lately, but I do like Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and it was only a dollar. I may have even gotten it for half price. Either way, it has a bunch of recipes in it that I want to try.

A really nice thing about this recipe is you can prepare it the night before and then just get up and bake it the next morning. That's certainly a good thing if you have company and don't want to be rushed in the morning to make breakfast for them. You can also go on and bake it after you mix it up if you prefer. I was a little concerned how the topping would look the next morning (thinking it might sink to the bottom) but it didn't. It looked like it did the night before when I sprinkled it over the batter.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



OVERNIGHT COFFEE CAKE

2       cups flour
1       teaspoon baking powder
1       teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon salt
1       cup sugar
1       cup brown sugar, packed and divided
2       teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1       cup buttermilk
2/3    cup butter, melted
2       eggs
1/2    cup chopped pecans, toasted


Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. (I sprayed my pan with nonstick cooking spray and then lightly floured it.) Set aside.


Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a large mixing bowl with a whisk. 

Add the buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
Blend on low speed of an electric mixer until moistened; increase speed to medium and beat 3 more minutes.
Spoon batter into pan; set aside. 
Mix together in a small mixing bowl, the rest of the brown sugar (1/2 cup) and the cinnamon (1 teaspoon) and pecans with a fork.
Sprinkle over the batter.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the cake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


If you prefer to bake it after mixing it up, just follow the same directions for baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment