Monday, May 6, 2019

AMISH FUDGE-FILLED BARS


I haven't picked up my Tasteful Treasures from the Horse and Buggy Country of Conewango Valley, New York cookbook in a while. I'm not surprised that I found this recipe for Fudge-Filled Bars that I had missed before. That's one reason I can't seem to part with any of my cookbooks. It just depends on my mood when I am looking through a cookbook and if I am looking for something in particular. When I am making something to take to the thrift shop, I am always looking for a cake or bar recipe that will serve more people - a tube cake or something using a 9 x 13 - inch pan or a jelly-roll pan 10 x 15 - inch pan. When I am making something for the canasta group, I can make a pie or dessert baked in an 8 or 9 - inch square pan since there are only six of us. The other gatherings just depends on how many people are coming. So it is easy for me to miss a good-sounding recipe.

These Fudge-Filled Bars are absolutely fantastic! Rich, but that means you can cut them into smaller pieces. I usually cut a 9 x 13 - inch dessert into 24 pieces. Some of the volunteers will come by the register to tell me how much they enjoyed the dessert and then tell me they took two pieces, but that's okay. I just tell them that's fine. 

I did make a few substitutions that changed the taste a little but that was because I didn't have any M & M's or semisweet chocolate chips. I had a bag of Limited Edition of dark chocolate and mint morsels - Winter that I needed to use and I had some peppermint bark chips leftover that I thought would go well with the mint morsels. I could taste the mint too and loved it. 

This cookbook includes poems and sayings on the pages. Below this recipe was this thought:

          Strangers are only friends you haven't met.


Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.




FUDGE-FILLED BARS

2       cups quick-cooking oats
1-1/2 cups flour
1       cup brown sugar
3/4    teaspoon salt
1       cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
1       cup chopped pecans
1       can sweetened condensed milk
6       oz (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips (I used a combination dark chocolate and mint morsels - winter)
2       tablespoons shortening
1/4    cup plain M & M's (I used peppermint bark chips)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt with a whisk.
Cut butter in chunks or slices and cut into dry mixture until crumbly. (You can do this using your mixer to save some time.)
Stir in pecans.
Set aside 1-1/2 cups for toppings.
Press the remaining crumb mixture into the prepared pan.
(I sprinkled the crumbs evenly to cover the pan and then pressed them down.)



In a saucepan, combine the milk, chips, and shortening.
Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted.
Spread over crust.
Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
Top with candy and press down lightly.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are a golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.



Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment