Wednesday, May 22, 2019

SOUTHERN FRIED FISH

I always love when I don't feel like cooking and I ask my husband Wayne if he wants to cook some fish and he always says, "Yeah, I can do that." Sometimes he says he will fry me some and bake some salmon for himself. The other night he fried some flounder for both of us. I decided to take pictures while he did it so I could share it with you.


He mixes up a cornmeal mixture that he stores in the closed container that he found in a 1992 Southern Living Annual Recipes cookbook. He says the cookbook opens naturally to the page. (I should check the cookbook out; I might find some other good recipes to make in it.)

Click here for a printable version of just the breading mixture.


CORNMEAL BREADING FOR FISH

2     cups yellow cornmeal
1     cup flour
2     teaspoons salt
1     teaspoon black pepper
1     teaspoon garlic
1     teaspoon paprika

Combine all ingredients well with
a whisk and
store in a closed container.

















To fry fish pieces or fillets:

Thaw fish, if frozen, in a large bowl with cold water. (You can also thaw it in the refrigerator, but it takes longer.) 

Heat 3 or 4 inches of oil in a (3 - quart) electric pot (deep fryer) to 400 degrees F.

Measure out some of the breading mixture in a flat dish. (If it is a "fishy-smelling" fish, he will dip the fish pieces first in a bowl of milk) Dip fish pieces one at a time in the mixture making sure it is covered well. 
 

Carefully drop coated pieces into
oil no more than a couple of pieces so they are not crowded and form a single layer.
Fry them 3 or 4 minutes depending on the thickness or til done.


Remove to a pie plate or sheet covered with a folded paper towel.
Store in an oven or microwave on Keep Warm until ready to eat. (My Aunt Virginia puts them in a paper sack and closed the top of it when she fries fish for the family.)









Serve as soon as you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment