Friday, November 23, 2018

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

Last week I worked at the thrift shop on Monday but it was one of the few times I didn't take something for the volunteers to enjoy. It was a crazy weekend and I just was too lazy Sunday afternoon or night to make anything. There was only one volunteer who asked me what I brought when she saw me. I felt really bad when I had to explain I didn't bring anything. Needless to say, I made sure I made something Sunday afternoon this week. 

I had found the recipe for these scrumptious looking pumpkin muffins in the November, 2006 issue of Cooking Light magazine Friday when I was looking for recipes for sweet potatoes to take to our family Thanksgiving dinner with our younger son Patrick and his family. They looked so good and a note with the recipe said you could prepare the muffins up to two days ahead which sounded perfect.

Well, I wasn't disappointed with the results and neither were the volunteers. The recipe said it made 18 muffins, but I had so much batter left over after filling one pan of 12 regular size cups that I just decided to make mini-muffins too. So I made 12 regular muffins and 24 mini-muffins. 
.
Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



PUMPKIN MUFFINS

2-1/4     cups flour
2           teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1-1/2     teaspoons baking soda
1           teaspoon ground ginger
1/4        teaspoon salt
1           cup dried cranberries
1           cup packed brown sugar
1           cup canned pumpkin
1/3        cup buttermilk
1/3        cup oil
1/4        cup molasses
1           teaspoon vanilla extract
2           large eggs
Cooking spray
sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. (Recipe can make 12 regular size muffins + 24 mini-muffins or 24 regular size muffins)


Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, ginger, and salt in a large mixing bowl. stirring well with a whisk.
Stir in dried cranberries, make a well in center of mixture. (I separate the dried cranberries to make sure there are no clumps of berries.)
Combine brown sugar, canned pumpkin, buttermilk, oil, molasses, vanilla, and eggs,
stirring well with a whisk.


Add sugar mixture to flour mixture,
stir just until moist.


Spoon batter into muffin tins.
(I have an ice cream scoop that hold 1/4 cup that I used for the regular size muffin tins and I used my cookie scoop for the mini-muffins. I had a little batter left so I added a little to each one and smoothed it out with a spoon.)


Sprinkle tops of muffins with sugar.


Bake regular muffins about 15 minutes (check doneness with toothpick in center of one of the muffins) and about 10 minutes for mini-muffins.


Remove immediately from tins to cool on wire rack.
 The mini-muffins...

No comments:

Post a Comment