Monday, November 19, 2018

CHERRY PUFF

I am still making the dessert for Friend Fran whenever she hosts a gathering of us friends. It gives me another opportunity to make something new to share here with you and besides I really do enjoy the baking. Last Thursday she hosted our canasta group. I didn't have to look through but a couple of recipes before I decided to make this Amish Cherry Puff. It was contributed by Mrs. Dan J. Helmuth in the Country Cooking by the Amish of Buchanan County, Iowa cookbook.

I have seen (and cooked quite a few of them) many recipes that start with a can of pie filling spread in a pan and then a batter poured over the top and then baked. While that might look like what this recipe is, trust me it isn't. The "batter" produces such a light tasting cake - with a hint of an angel food cake taste. The ladies commented how light it tasted. I did use a cherry pie filling but Mrs. Helmuth says you can also use blueberry, apricot, or your favorite pie filling.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



CHERRY PUFF

1       21 - oz can cherry pie filling
2       eggs, separated
dash of salt
1/4    tablespoon cream of tartar (3/4 teaspoon)
1/3    cup sugar
 6      tablespoons flour
1/2    tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Separate egg yolks and egg whites.


Beat egg whites til foamy.
Add salt and cream of tartar;
beat til stiff.


Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
Add sugar and
beat again. 


Fold yolk mixture into whites;
add vanilla.


Fold in flour.



Pour pie filling into a 1-1/2 quart casserole. (I checked my approximately 7 x 11 - inch casserole dish by pouring 6 cups of water in it. It filled the dish.)


Pour batter on top of the cherries.


Bake approximately 40 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment