Friday, November 16, 2018

(MADISON COUNTY'S) ORANGE NUT BREAD

I just love "orange" bread just about any way you make it. I saw this recipe for Orange Nut Bread in a cookbook called Recipes of Madison County from the Movie Bridges of Madison County I was flipping through one day at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop) when things were really slow. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make it so I copied the recipe down.

I made the bread last Saturday at 7:30 in the morning. Friend Janice and I were meeting mid-morning to go to the Annual Kansas City Symphony's Homes of Note Tours (Three houses decorated for Christmas - always beautiful homes) and really wanted to have it to take to church Sunday morning to share with the other "ringers". We played "Let There Be Peace on Earth" and "Because He Lives" at the 8:00 and 10:45 services. I haven't made them anything and brought to share when we played since we started back up this year and wanted to surprise them. We met at church Saturday night at 6 to set up the tables and all so we didn't have to get to church until 7:15. Way too early! The youth had the church's Annual Turkey Dinner Saturday from 3 to 7 so after we finished setting up everything, I joined friends and had an early Thanksgiving dinner. I was hoping to get a taste of the Peach Crumble Pie I made, but it was all gone. Not really surprised, but I was still hoping.

Anyway, this Madison County Orange Nut Bread was not a disappointment. It made a nice big loaf (9 x 5) so I had some left for us to enjoy at home. I followed the recipe except I added 1/8 teaspoon orange oil. 

Click here for a printable version of just this recipe.


ORANGE NUT BREAD from Madison County

3     cups flour
1     cup sugar
1     tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon salt
1     large egg
3/4  cup milk
3/4  cup orange juice
1/4  cup oil
2     teaspoon lemon juice
1/8  teaspoon orange oil (optional)
1     teaspoon orange rind (I use dried orange peel)
1/2  cup chopped pecans
2     tablespoons orange juice
1     teaspoon butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 x 3 - inch loaf pan.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl with a whisk; make a well in the center. Set aside.

Combine egg, milk, orange juice, oil, lemon juice, and orange oil in a smaller bowl and beat with a whisk.

Add egg mixture to flour mixture and
stir just til moistened.

Fold in orange rind and pecans.

Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour or until done when checked with a toothpick. (I had to cook mine 65 minutes.)





Meanwhile combine the 2 tablespoons of orange juice and melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside. 

Cool in pan for 10 minutes on wire rack.

Run a knife around the inside edges and then turn out onto wire rack.
Pick loaf several times.
Brush across the loaf the orange juice/butter mixture.


Wrap in foil and cool completely.
I left it wrapped until the next morning before slicing to take to my friends.






My friends were surprised and really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment