Wednesday, November 28, 2018

BANANA SOUR CREAM LOAF

We were hit Sunday with  the worse winter storm we have had in three years. We had what the weather people call "white-out" conditions. My husband Wayne measured after a couple of hours and measured 3 inches of snow. Monday afternoon when I had to clean off my car so we could run an errand, there was definitely more than 3 inches on the top of my car. I think we ended up getting 6 inches. Schools were closed Monday, hundreds of wrecks were reported; it was bad. Since I was scheduled to work one of the registers at the thrift yesterday morning, I decided to use our four ripening bananas and make this Banana Sour Cream Loaf to take to share with the other volunteers and staff, thinking there wouldn't be any problems getting out since we had made it out to run our errand.

Well, was I wrong. I never heard if it actually got as low (single digit) as it was forecasted, but we weren't able to get out of our subdivision yesterday morning. There was still plenty of snow in the streets and then with what had melted Monday froze with no traffic during the night, we were stuck in. So I ended up calling the shop and telling them I wouldn't be coming in and now I have three delicious loaves still wrapped in foil waiting to be enjoyed. (I did eat a slice from one of them just cause.) (See pictures at the bottom of the post from our front steps.)

I love making "breads" the day before, wrapping them in foil while they are still warm, and then cutting them the next day. They are so moist that way. This bread is beautiful when cut and really tasty. I don't drink coffee, but for those of you who do, it is just what a cup of coffee calls for. Hopefully I can make it over to the thrift shop today or tomorrow and take the loaves.


Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



BANANA SOUR CREAM LOAF

2/3      cup butter
1-1/4   cups sugar
2         eggs
1-1/2   cups mashed banana
2-1/4   cups flour
1         teaspoon baking powder
1         teaspoon baking soda
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      cup sour cream (I used lite sour cream)
1         cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray two 8 x 4 - inch loaf pans or three smaller pans with cooking spray.


Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.


Add eggs and bananas,
beat until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowls as necessary.


Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


Add dry mixture alternately with sour cream to banana mix, starting and ending with dry mixture;


blend well.


Fold in nuts.


Divide batter between loaf pans. 


Bake until the loaves test done when inserted with a toothpick in the center. I made three small loaves and baked them about 50 minutes. Larger loaves will probably bake 55 to 60 minutes.
Recipe used a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan and said to bake 55 to 65 minutes. The batter almost filled my pan and I was afraid the loaf would run over the top of the pan and made three loaves in my Pyrex loaf pans that are about 4 x 6 - inches.


Cool in pans for 10 minutes on wire rack. Run a knife around the edges before removing from pans.
Finish cooling on wire racks. 











Wrap in foil. Can freeze extra loaves or share with friends.

Here are some pictures I took during the storm Sunday afternoon from our front step:




No comments:

Post a Comment