Monday, March 19, 2018

SALISBURY STEAK


I can't wait to share this recipe with you. It has to be one of my most favorite recipes I have found. Mrs. Ivan J. Byler in the Big Valley Amish Cook-Book called it Salisbury Steak. I would have called it Barbecued Salisbury Steak to better describe the taste. We enjoyed two meals of them and I froze the fifth "steak". I will make it for myself some time when my husband wants salmon. 

It is always exciting to find a new way to serve ground beef, especially one so delicious. It is also fast and easy. I think I have a cookbook called 365 Ways with Ground Beef (or Hamburger, I forget). it is one of my early ones and I haven't looked at it in years. There was a time when being able to feed a family using a pound of ground beef/hamburger with some variety was important. Now that it is just my husband and myself, I am interested in using a pound of ground beef/hamburger to feed us for three or four meals. 

This "Barbecued" Salisbury Steak is definitely a keeper.



SALISBURY STEAK

2       cups corn flakes
1       egg
1       cup barbecue sauce, divided
1       teaspoon salt
1/8    teaspoon pepper
1       lb. ground beef

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. I sprayed a pan with nonstick cooking spray for easier cleanup.


Measure cornflakes and crush to 1 cup.


Add egg (I beat the egg first), 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper to the crushed cornflakes in a mixing bowl.
Then add the ground beef to the crushed cornflakes mixture. (I mixed the ingredients together using my hand.)



Form into patties. (I made 5 patties.)

Place patties in pan
and cover with the remaining 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce.

Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes. (I did cook mine for 25 minutes.)


Serve.


I formed 5 patties, but only cooked 2. I took the other 3 patties and put them in 3 Tupperware hamburger "molds" and put them in the refrigerator. I also stored the barbecue sauce I didn't use in the refrigerator. Several days later, I took two of them and baked them for our dinner. All I had to do was cover them with the leftover barbecue sauce and bake them for 25 minutes. Fabulous! I decided to freeze the other one left.

No comments:

Post a Comment