Friday, March 2, 2018

BACK TO REALITY! (AND A GOOD RECIPE TOO)

The hardest thing about coming back home after being away for a while (even a few days for me) is having to think about what to cook (for meals). Notice I didn't say "having to cook" because even though I say,"I don't like to cook, but I do like to bake" isn't as strong of a statement as it sounds. Once I get started I am okay. It's just getting started and that starts with knowing what you are going to do. 

I have tried menu planning and been successful with it, but it seems harder to do now that we are retired. I guess it is because while I have plenty of activities to keep me busy, I never know what might come up and change our plans. Another thing is I never know what "mood" we will be in as far as what sounds appetizing to us. One thing that has worked for me is making a large entree or casserole early in the week and then eating it for leftovers. Fortunately my husband doesn't have a problem with that as long as he likes it.

Well, after being gone for 21 of the 28 days in February this year, I am really struggling. For 21 days I did nothing to prepare for the meals we were going to eat. The bad thing about that is I probably ate too much for 14-1/2 of those days while we were on the cruise ship. I do miss all the fruit I ate. I am eating fruit, but I don't have all the choices.

So after eating a grilled cheese sandwich and heating up a can of tomato soup the first night we were home (I went out the second night with Friends Janice and Fran for dinner before going to the Music Hall to see Finding Neverland.), Wednesday I had to get out the cookbooks and start searching for something to make for dinner. I didn't have to look far because the Kitchen-Klatter Cookbook was one of the first ones I picked up.

I got the cookbook at an estate sale last year and had marked about 10 or more recipes that sounded interesting with stick on post-its. I started by just reviewing those pages. That's when I found this Parmesan Meat Loaf recipe. (My husband had gone to the grocery store to get him some cottage cheese so that meant I had all of the ingredients and all I had to do was thaw a pound of ground beef. Yay!)

I have never made a meatloaf in a square pan, but it worked out great and best thing ever, it only had to cook for a total of 30 minutes. Guess what we will be enjoying for a few more evening this week?


PARMESAN MEAT LOAF

1       lb. ground beef
2/3    cup creamed cottage cheese
1/2    cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1       egg
1/3    cup catsup
2       tablespoon prepared mustard
2       tablespoons finely chopped onion
1       teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1/3    cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (I reduced the temperature to 325 degrees F because I used a glass square baking dish.) (Spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray for easy cleanup.)

Mix all of the ingredients (except for the Parmesan cheese) together in a large mixing bowl. "Work" the ingredients until they are thoroughly blended. (I started with a spoon and ended up using my fingers.)

Spread the mixture evenly in the pan.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.

Return to oven and cook for 10 more minutes.

Cut in squares to serve.

Bon Appetite! 

I hope you are enjoy my pictures from our 21 days away. Look for another post tomorrow. We will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I also made some cookies Wednesday because the cookie jar looked so lonely being empty. I will be sharing this recipe also soon.

4 comments:

  1. Patricia, we are in the same retirement boat as you are! I enjoy reading your posts, and I totally understand the menu planning thing, because our days tend to be more unplanned. And we do eat a lot of leftovers! I started a blog to try and stick to a cleaning and menu schedule, and it is kind of working but not totally! Hope you enjoyed your cruise, that is on our bucket list! Thanks for sharing your great recipes and posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joansy. I am glad you like my blog. I plan to write up the rest of the trip this weekend to share next week. Cruising is way fun, but entirely too much temptation to eat. Lol. What is the name of your blog? I would love to check it out. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! My blog is not much, certainly nothing like yours! And I only post when I have time or think about it! The name of it is The Spirited Life of Grammy, and here is the link: https://thespiritedlifeofgrammy.blogspot.com/
      I will try and do better with inspiration from you! And I love your pictures of Puerto Rico, it looks like a wonderful trip!

      Delete
  3. Don't let her fool you; I've found it to be a lifesaver, except she's moved her menu plans to a different place

    ReplyDelete