Monday, March 26, 2018

OLD-FASHIONED LEMON DROP COOKIES

I know what you are thinking - What? Another cookie recipe? If so, then I hope you are thinking - Great!

That's exactly what this recipe for Old-Fashioned Lemon Drop Cookies from Kitchen-Klatter Cookbook. ("This is an old recipe brought up to date.") I just love the lemon taste in the cookie. I think using lemon juice and a little lemon flavoring for the liquid in the glaze was one of the best decisions I made, also.

These cookies are the perfect match with a little ice cream or even sherbet. They are the other cookie I made for Friend Fran and our Mexican Train group. Did you check out the Marmalade Yummies, the other cookie I made?



OLD-FASHIONED LEMON DROP COOKIES

2       cups flour, sifted
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    teaspoon soda
1/2    teaspoon baking powder
1/2    cup shortening
1/4    teaspoon butter flavoring
1       cup sugar (I removed 6 teaspoonfuls)
2       eggs
1       teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1       teaspoon lemon flavoring
1/4    cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets. (I used two non-stick cookie sheets.)


Sift dry ingredients (flour, salt, soda, and baking powder) Set aside.


Cream shortening, butter flavoring, and sugar together until light and fluffy.


Beat in eggs and other flavorings (vanilla and lemon).


Add flour mixture alternately with the lemon juice to the creamed mixture. (I start with about 1/3 of the flour and then add half of the juice , repeat, and end with the last third of the flour.)



Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
Drop by teaspoonfuls (I use my cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon water.) on cookie sheet. 


Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.


Can remove from cookie sheet or allow to cool a bit before removing them to finish cooling on wire rack.


These may be iced with a powdered sugar frosting flavored with lemon flavoring.

I mixed about 3/4 cup of powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon flavoring and about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to make a thin glaze.


I placed a piece of wax paper under the wire rack and then using a whisk,
I drizzled the cookies with the glaze. Allow the glaze to harden before you stack the cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment