Wednesday, March 7, 2018

AMISH APPLE BREAD

After taking a month off and then being gone for almost a month, I finally returned to volunteering at the register at Hillcrest Thrift Shop yesterday. Because we have moved into a new larger building, it has a totally new feel. The registers are new, too, which adds to the feeling of volunteering at a totally different place. It felt good to be back and to also have a treat to share with the volunteers. Because the old shop was two stories and I just brought the treat to the downstairs "bunch", many of the volunteers are not familiar with my "treats". I met one volunteer that I didn't know because she volunteered upstairs before and I asked her if she had eaten a piece of the Apple Bread. She said, "I did. In fact I ate 3 pieces. I wanted to tell you had good it was."

This recipe is in Kevin Williams' book, Amish Cooks Across America, Recipes and Traditions from Maine to Montana. Kevin sent me the book to thank me for helping him with posts for him to share at his www.amish365.com when he and his wife welcomed their second daughter a few years ago. I love the recipes, but I also enjoy reading about the Amish traditions across the country. 

The recipe by Lovina Eicher, Kevin's co-author, says, "Like the Lyndonville Amish, we make a lot of apple bread and apple butter. We bake a lot of apple bread in the community. This bread goes fast around here when it is baked. I usually use Jonathan apples, which are plentiful in Michigan." I didn't have Jonathan apples, but used 1-1/2 Golden Delicious apples. It was super easy to mix together and the volunteers raved about it. I thought it was pretty good myself.



APPLE BREAD

1/2         cup (1 stick) butter or shortening, softened (I used a stick of unsalted butter at room temperature.)
1-1/4      cup sugar (I used 1 cup.)
2            large eggs
2            teaspoons baking powder
1/2         teaspoon ground cinnamon
2            cups all-purpose flour
1            teaspoon salt
1/4         teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2      cups finely grated apples

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan with nonsticking cooking spray.


Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.


Add the eggs, one at a time,
beating well after each addition. (Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.)


In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.

Add the sifted mixture to the creamed mixture, and stir until well blended (on low speed). (Forgot to take a picture.)


Fold in the apples.


Pour/spread the batter into loaf pan. 


Bake for 1 hour, or until golden.


Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing to finish cooling on rack.






I wrapped the loaf in foil and waited until the next day to cut.

I cut it in thick slices and then down the middle to have plenty to share.

3 comments:

  1. Can I substitute apple pie filling for the apples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,
      It would be worth a try. It might be hard to grate so I would mash the apple slices with a forth. I would probably scrape off the cinnamon/sugar mixture on the apple slices. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks for your question. Patricia

      Delete