Thursday, March 22, 2018

APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

I made these cookies when my cookie jar was almost empty because they sounded so good. Well, they were not good; they were fantastic! I used a golden delicious apple from my friend Sue's apple tree. It has kept so long and well in the refrigerator, but I knew I needed to use it soon. 

I just can't say enough good stuff about these cookies. I only have a couple left in my cookie jar and I am already missing them. The recipe said it made 2 dozen cookies, but I made 3-1/2 dozen cookies. I should have know better with 2 cups of oats and 1 cup of flour and a cup of grated/shredded apple, but this time it is okay. That just gave us more to enjoy.

This is a moist, soft cookie. It reminds me of the "breakfast" cookies you can buy in the stores, only better.



APPLE OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4       cup brown sugar
1/2       cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2          eggs
1          teaspoon vanilla
2          cups rolled oats (I used old fashioned oats)
2          teaspoons cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon apple pie spice
1          cup whole wheat pastry flour (could use all-purpose)
1/2       cup chopped walnuts
1          apple, peeled, cored, and grated/shredded (I measured 1 cup of grated apple)

Glaze:
1/2       cup powdered sugar
1          tablespoon milk (or enough to make a thin glaze)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.


Beat in eggs and vanilla.



Combine the oats, flour, salt, baking soda, spices, and nuts in a bowl.


Add to mixture and
stir til blended completely.
Add the grated apple.






Scoop out using a small cookie scoop (mine holds 1 tablespoon of water). Flatten cookie dough with fingers.


Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.


Cool on wire rack. 
Mix up glaze


and drizzle over cookies.




No comments:

Post a Comment