Saturday, December 8, 2012

CROCK POT CHICKEN AND RICE

I wrote this recipe on an envelop (something my mother was guilty of----writing on whatever happened to be handy) a couple of months ago.  I planned to make it one day when I was going to be out all day, but then as I was rereading the recipe to get everything together, I realized that wouldn't work.  

It isn't one of those recipes that you put in first thing in the morning and come back ready to eat for dinner.  But don't let that keep you from making it.  Just make it on a day when you are running errands or busy around the house and can come back after 2 or 3 hours and add the rice.  (I actually cooked the chicken while I was volunteering at Hillcrest and so the chicken cooked close to 4 hours before I added the rice.  I also only used 3 chicken breasts as that was all I had left but one was larger than the other two.)

I didn't write down the title of the recipe so I am just calling it...


CROCK POT CHICKEN AND RICE

4   skinless chicken breasts
10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
12 oz can 7-up or lemon lime soda
1  cup rice (Minute Rice is best..I used brown)
1/4  cup chicken broth

Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot.  (Spray the pot with cooking spray first for easy cleanup.)

Cover with soup and 7 - up that you have combined in a medium bowl.

Cover and cook for 2 - 3 hours on low.




Add rice and chicken broth and cook 2  -  3 more hours until chicken is cooked through.  (I cooked this time only two hours.  The brown Minute Rice was perfect.)



I stirred the mixture twice in the 2 hours to make sure the rice stayed covered.






After it was done, I took the cooked breasts out and poured the rice in a serving bowl and then placed the breasts on top.








My husband asked me what was in it after he took a bite.  He said it had a sweet taste he wasn't expecting.  I told him that was the 7 - up.  I didn't have a diet one or I would have used it.  I am sure it would work, just might have a different taste.  Now that I drink only diet, a regular 7 - up does taste really sweet. 

This was so easy to prepare and had a good taste.  I also made some of my BUTTERMILK BISCUITS (this time using all whole wheat pastry flour--yum yum) and then preceded to eat more than I should have....but it was all so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment