Wednesday, December 12, 2012

PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES

I recently saw a recipe for a peppermint sugar cookie made from scratch.  While I like to make things from scratch, I also like fast and easy.  So I got to thinking.....why couldn't I use the sugar cookie mix and add peppermint to it?  

Tomorrow I am having some friends over for Mexican Train.  I am going to offer them a salad and have cookies...peppermint sugar cookies to be precise for dessert.  I often make things to share that I haven't made before, but since I bought several packages of the sugar cookies mix, I decided to try them out and then take the batch to Hillcrest (since I was going to be working there this afternoon).  That way I could see if they tasted as good as I thought they would.

Well, they are great....better than I thought they would be and they were so easy and so fast.  The volunteers at Hillcrest really liked them also.


PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES

1  -  pkg Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies Mix
1     stick of butter, softened-not melted
1     egg
1     teaspoon mint extract
1/2  cup crushed peppermint

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Follow the directions on the cookie mix:  Mix the cookie mix, the stick of butter and egg until a dough forms.  

Add the mint extract and crushed peppermint.

Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, space the cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 7 - 9 minutes til cookie is set and edges slightly brown.

Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet.

Finish cooling on wire rack.

Store in an airtight container. 

To crush the peppermint sticks, I put several pieces in a ziplock bag, and beat it with a rolling pin.  The good thing was it was okay if the sticks were broken since I plan to crush them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment