Saturday, December 22, 2012

QUICK CRANBERRY COOKIES

A month or so ago I found a recipe to try that used Cranberry Quick Bread & Muffin Mix, but when I tried to find it in the grocery stores, I couldn't find it. I think it is a seasonal item and just figured I was rushing the season. Well, I continued to look every time I went to the store, but it still wasn't there.

Then one day, my friend Jean, from the church's handbell choir, sent me a message on Facebook and said she had remembered my talking about not being able to find it. She had seen it, bought one, and would bring it to me at that week's handbell practice. I couldn't believe it...I was so excited.

True to her word, Jean brought me the box and then I went off and forgot it in the practice room. Another handbell choir practices in the same room, but it was still there the next week. In the meanwhile, I started looking for the recipe that I had found.....well, I am still looking three weeks later. I will have to go buy several boxes of it, so that if I ever find the recipe again, I will have the mix to use.

Not to be outdone though, I found another recipe last week that called for the mix, Cranberry Quick Cookies from Pillsbury. I had some free time this afternoon so I decided to make them. I made them planning to take them to Hillcrest Thrift Shop tomorrow when I go to "work", but after eating one, I told my husband that I wouldn't take all of them.  

I love the taste that the orange peel adds.  (I never grate a real orange when a recipe calls for grated orange peel....I cheat and use the orange pill in the spice bottle you can buy.)  

I also revised the original recipe to cut down on fat by using half unsweetened applesauce for half of the oil.  If you don't have the applesauce, just use 1/2 cup of oil. Since I revised the recipe, I am changing the name to Quick Cranberry Cookies because they are so quick.



QUICK CRANBERRY COOKIES

1       (15.6-oz) pkg. Pillsbury Cranberry Quick Bread & Muffin Mix
3/4   cup quick-cooking oats
1/2   cup coconut
1/2   cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2   teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4   cup canola oil
1/4   cup unsweetened applesauce
1       tablespoon water
2      eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degree F.

In a large bowl, combine quick bread mix, oats, coconut, cranberries, and orange peel; mix well.(I used a wooden spoon.)





Add oil, applesauce, water, and eggs; mix well. (It is thick, so I stirred just until all the bread mix was mixed up.)





Drop by 1-inch cookie scoop two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  (I flattened slightly the top with my fingers.)





Bake 10 - 13 minutes (I cooked my 11 min.) or until bottoms are golden brown. 







Remove promptly from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.



No comments:

Post a Comment