Friday, October 12, 2012

PUMPKIN SPICE BAKED OATMEAL

I saw this recipe when my dil Sara pinned it on Pinterest.  It reminded me of the AMISH OATMEAL I make since you can prepare it the night before, refrigerate it, and then cook it the next morning.  The pumpkin and all the spices sounded like a nice change.

I mixed it up last night and cooked it this am.  It smelled so good baking in the oven and tasted even better.  Since I am the only one eating it (my husband has his cereal he eats every morning), I reduced the ingredients to fit an 8 - inch square pan.  If you want to make more, you can make it in a 9" x 13" pan.  Just double the ingredient amounts and cook it for about 30-40 minutes.  The original recipe came from My Blessed Life.


PUMPKIN SPICE BAKED OATMEAL

3     cups oats
1/2  teaspoon salt 
2     teaspoon baking powder
1/2  tablespoon cinnamon
1/4  teaspoon nutmeg
1/4  teaspoon ground cloves
1/2  cup honey
1/2  cup pumpkin puree
2     eggs, beaten
1/2  tablespoon vanilla
1/4  cup craisins
1/4  cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees or 350 degrees for glass. Spray an 8 - inch square pan with cooking spray.

Combine the oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl with a whisk.

Add honey, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla.  Stir well.

Fold in dried fruit and nuts.

Spread into pan.  

*Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  

Serve topped with butter or coconut oil, brown sugar or honey and milk. I like it just plain.


*If you are making it the night before, after spreading in pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
The next morning, remove from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap.  Preheat oven and then bake.
 
UPDATE:  I made this again this morning for the third time.  This morning I made it with chopped dates.  Only the first time I made it did I prepare it the night before.  I really like that I can make it and bake it right afterwards.  The exciting news is this morning my husband tried it.  He cut it in a square (like I do) and then ate it like a brownie.  He didn't even say anything about the cloves.  He said it was pretty good.  That's a compliment from him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment