Wednesday, October 17, 2012

COUNTRY FRIED APPLES

When Janice and I went to Jamesport last Friday, I bought some Jonathan apples. I love cooking with apples especially this time of year. I have so many recipes that use apples.

Last night I cooked some fried apples. According to the recipe card, the first time I made these was the end of November in 1984. The card says I got the recipe from the magazine, Ladies Home Journal.

While my husband was deep frying fish and the sweet potato fries were baking in the oven, I was fixing the fried apples.  They smelled so good cooking but tasted even better. I am glad I bought a peck of apples because I know I will be making these again really soon.


COUNTRY FRIED APPLES

2     cups sliced apples, unpeeled. (My apples were small so   I used about 4 apples)

1/4  cup light margarine

2     tablespoons sugar

1/4  teaspoon cinnamon

Core and slice apples.  (This is how I do this....I core and cut the apple in one step.....

Then I cut each slice/chunk in half.  Since this little gadget cuts the apples in uniform slices, by simply recutting each slice, I have slices of equal thickness to cook with.)

Over medium heat, melt the margarine in a 12 - inch skillet.

Add the apple slices.

Saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon.

Sprinkle over apples.

Stir.  Reduce heat to medium low and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

I like to eat them just like this while still fairly hot. You could also serve them over ice cream.

6 comments:

  1. This one looks good and simple. I think I'm making this one tomorrow night for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't think you will be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. Just like my Grandmothers have not had these in many years now. Now I know how to do it thank you
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Bobby! So glad you found me. Enjoy memories of your grandmother while you eat them.

      Delete
  3. So glad i found this recipe... i will be making this for my husband. He loves fried apples. Have you tried it with brown sugar before????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, I haven't tried it using brown sugar, but there is no reason you couldn't. Hope you and your husband do enjoy them. Patricia

      Delete