Wednesday, July 5, 2023

RANGER COOKIES

Baker Nancy made these delicious Ranger Cookies a few weeks ago for the Cafe Treats. She used the recipe from King  Arthur Flour and they were so good. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

I have heard of Ranger Cookies before but didn't know until I did a little research that most people credit them to the Texas Rangers, thus the name "Ranger". If you want to add nuts, then they are usually called Cowboy Cookies. I remember that my mother liked to make those. 

The recipe calls for crispy rice cereal or cornflakes, but originally cornflakes were used. It's fun for me to know more about a recipe. King Arthur uses old fashioned oats but one place I was reading said to use nothing but quick oats. Nancy used the old fashioned oats. She also used the crispy rice cereal.



RANGER COOKIES

1     cup shortening or unsalted butter at room temperature (Nancy did use butter.)

1     cup light brown sugar or dark brown sugar, packed

1     cup granulated sugar

1     teaspoon vanilla extract

1     teaspoon salt

2     large eggs

2     cups flour

1/2  teaspoon baking powder

1     teaspoon baking soda

1     cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1     cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened

1     cup chocolate chips

3     cups crispy rice cereal or cornflakes


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a couple of baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.

Beat together the shortening/butter, sugars, vanilla, and salt until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until smooth.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until well blended.

Stir in the oats, coconut, chips, and cereal, mixing just until blended.

Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared sheets; a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here. (Personal note: I would use my tablespoon cookie scoop that I use for all of my cookies. I don't think I have ever seen a teaspoon cookie scoop. Nancy said she did use one about that size. I will have to hunt for one.)

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they're golden brown.

Remove the cookies from the oven and cool right on the pan or on a rack. Store completely cooled cookies, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to a week. May freeze for longer storage.

PRINT RECIPE.


No comments:

Post a Comment