Tuesday, July 11, 2023

ALL-NEW PEACH COBBLER

 I have some awesome cookie recipes to share with you this week from Sunday's Cafe Treats Bakers, but first I just have to share this peach cobbler recipe from Paula Dean Cuts the Fat. I don't know how many different recipes I have for peach cobbler, but it's a lot!

 Last week I was going through my pantry in the garage and pulling out can goods way past their best used by date. I brought everything upstairs to  my kitchen and emptied the old stuff to recycle the cans and set the other cans that were close on my island so I could use them soon. Otherwise, I know I would get busy and forget about them. 

One of the cans that I had was a large can of peach halves in light syrup. Their date was just a month or two past the best by date. I know I could have used one of my already used recipes, but that's not fun. I searched through several and then picked up one of my Paula Dean cookbooks. Paula would surely have a recipe for peach cobbler and she didn't disappoint. 

The recipe has half of the sugar of her original recipe and a quarter of the butter. What must Paula be thinking? Right? Well, I was hooked. She even had a picture of her finished cobbler in a round baking dish. I mention this because her recipe says to use a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish which she didn't do. I didn't want to use one either and didn't. My Corning Ware dish is smaller than 9 x 13 but I didn't measure it. I figured it would work; my cobbler would just be thicker which was fine with me.

The recipe just calls for 1/2 cup of sugar which I substituted stevia for the sugar. Since the recipe called for sliced canned peaches, I had to slice my halves into slices, but that was okay. The two tablespoons of butter that the recipe calls for was used to coat the sides and bottom of the baking dish. Well, that didn't use up much of the butter, so I just melted the rest and poured it in the dish after coating the pan.

I am so glad I found the recipe and decided to make it. It is definitely a keeper. Oh! I baked it longer than the 40 minutes because mine wasn't brown like Paula's picture. It never was, but it turned out okay. 

After I took it out of the oven I sprinkled some cinnamon on top to make it pretty since mine never browned like Paula's did.

PRINT RECIPE.



ALL-NEW PEACH COBBLER

2       tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter

1-1/2 cups flour

1/2    cup sugar or stevia

2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon

Pinch of salt

1-1/2 cups milk (I used skim milk)

1/2    teaspoon vanilla extract

2       cans (15 - ounces each) sliced peaches in juice, drained (I used a 29 - ounce can of peach halves in light syrup and sliced them)

1/4     cup reserved juice

additional cinnamon, optional


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with the butter. (I melted what was left and poured it in the dish.)


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar or stevia, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

Whisk in the milk and vanilla

until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.


Arrange the peach slices on top.


Drizzle over the reserved juice.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly golden brown and firm to the touch.


I sprinkled some additional cinnamon on top.


I added a dollop of whipped topping and a little extra sprinkle of cinnamon to servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment