Friday, May 19, 2023

POTATO CHIP COOKIES

 I made these Potato Chip Cookies a few weeks ago for the Cafe Treats at our church. I didn't get them written up that week and as you might expect, I couldn't find the cookbook/recipe. I kinda remembered that it was in a cookbook without a spiral binding and had to lay something heavy on it to keep it opened at the page, but that didn't keep me from looking at every cookbook I have out right now. Not once but several times. 

Feeling a little blue, I decided to try once more since I didn't have anything else to do. I ended up finding a few new recipes to try in the future and marked them with a sticky tab. And I also found the recipe.

Remember I was looking for a recipe called Potato Chip Cookies. The reason I didn't find it both of the times this week that I spent looking for the recipe is the cookbook it was it. Yes, I did find it.

I found the recipe in a tasteofhome COMFORT FOOD diet cookbook. Now would you expect a Potato Chip Cookie recipe to be in a diet cookbook? I certainly wouldn't and it was the only cookbook I never checked for it. But there it was in the second marked Desserts 101 - 150 calories. I guess for a dessert on a diet, that's not a lot of calories, but I would expect more than one cookie. 

According to the recipe, each cookie contains 123 calories. That's more calories in a cookie than I like to eat, but I decided to try them anyway because I was intrigued with the idea of potato chips in a cookie. It's the sweet and salty taste together.

Now that I have talked you out of making them, I'm still going to share the recipe because maybe you aren't counting calories or you don't plan to eat them yourselves because you are taking them to a party. You could always substitute stevia or splenda for the sugar and use a stevia brown sugar blend for the brown sugar and cut back on the sugar calories.

Whatever your story is, I hope you give them a try. They were a big hit with the church crowd; some trying them just because they were intrigued also with the idea of potato chips in a cookie.

I don't buy potato chips and the recipe called for two cups of crushed potato chips. Do you have any idea how big of a bag of potato chips it takes to make 2 cups of crushed chips? I didn't. I bought a 5-ounce can at first but then decided it might not make 2 cups crushed so I bought a big bag - 13 ounces the second trip to the store.

Well, according to my non-digital scale, the 2 cups of crushed potato chips weighed 5 ounces. So that meant the original can I bought would have been enough. But who wants to come up short of potato chips for the cookies. So I would recommend buying a 5 or 6 ounce bag at least. You can eat the rest.

PRINT RECIPE.



POTATO CHIPS COOKIES

1     cup butter-flavored shortening

3/4  cup sugar (or stevia)

3/4  cup packed brown sugar (or brown sugar blend)

2     eggs

2     cups flour

1     teaspoon baking soda

2     cups crushed potato chips (5 to 6 ounces)

1     cup butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until

light and fluffy. (several minutes)

Beat in eggs.


Combine the flour and baking soda.

Gradually add the mixture to the creamed mixture and

mix well.
Crush the potato chips.

Stir in potato chips and butterscotch chips.


Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, drop the dough 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.

(I pressed some of the scoops lightly to have a flatter cookie.)


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire rack.


Will make about 3-1/2 dozen cookies. (Wayne thought the ones I didn't flatten some looked better -- on the left.)

No comments:

Post a Comment