Tuesday, May 2, 2023

BANANA SNACK CAKE

I never imagined how my days would change just by taking some sweets to church in January to have available in the Cafe with the coffee being provided. I realized that if it were going to be successful, treats needed to be available each Sunday which was more than I wanted to tackle. So after doing it for three times, I asked a few friends to help me out. Now I have twenty-one people on the volunteer list and we have gone from three treats to at least six treats in just four months. I had been helping with the treats for the Greet and Treats since last summer. I brought something with little or no sugar and someone else brought the sugar treat. So it seemed only natural that I should do the same for the Cafe Treats. So now when I am looking for recipes to make, I also find myself having to find something that I can take for the Cafe Treats each Sunday with little or no sugar.

I usually find a recipe with less sugar and just substitute it with stevia. That way anyone reading the post, can make it as it was originally written with sugar if they prefer. This recipe I found in a cookbook I bought on Friday when Wayne and I went to an estate sale. I have found several recipes I want to try so you will be hearing about it in future posts. The cookbook? Pillsbury The Complete Book of Baking.

The cake wasn't as sweet as I expected it to be, but when I warned people Sunday who was choosing it, one teenage boy told me it was the best. He tasted the banana immediately, also. Instead of mixing the chocolate chips in the cake batter, I sprinkled them on top so the cake would look pretty with no frosting.

PRINT RECIPE


BANANA SNACK CAKE

1       cup sugar or stevia

1       cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

2       eggs

1/2    cup buttermilk

1       cup mashed ripe bananas, (3 bananas)

1       teaspoon vanilla

2       cups flour

1       cup quick-cooking rolled oats

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2    teaspoon salt

1       cup chocolate chips, 6 oz bag (I used zero sugar baking chips)

1/2    cup chopped nuts (I omitted)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


In a large bowl, combine, the sugar, butter, and eggs; mix well.


Stir in the butter, bananas, and vanilla; blend well.


Stir in the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt;

mix well.


Spread the batter in the pan. 


Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. 


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack. 










Cut in squares to serve. (I made mine the night before and covered the pan with foil until the next morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment