Monday, November 23, 2020

INSTANT POT BAKED PENNE

Well, I have had my Instant Pot (IP) for a week and I have learned so much and am not as intimidated as I was initially. After doing the water test that the company recommends, I tried cooking brown rice. It took two tries before I was successful (read about it HERE), but I did have success with the second time. I even made Paula Deen's Rice Pudding with some of it but I haven't had a chance to write that recipe up yet. Later this week, hopefully.

Then I decided I would use it as a Slow Cooker and bake some Slow Cooker Herb Bread, but it didn't do as well as it does in my "real" slow cooker. I'm not sure why it didn't work, but there are a couple of reasons maybe why. I didn't use Rapid Rising Yeast as I did before and so the dough wasn't as risen as usual after the first hour, but I went on and proceeded anyway. Then I cooked it for only 1.5 hours forgetting that the recipe said 1.5 to 2 hours. I should have cooked it longer. So I will just have to give it a try again.

My third attempt was to make this Baked Penne Casserole. It was really exciting. I got to use the Saute function when I cooked the ground beef and I got to use the Pressure Cooker function to cook the pasta and casserole. It was so easy and tasted fantastic! I was sold on my IP after that try.

I said it was so easy and it was. The really funny thing about the experience though I must share with you. Basically after the casserole cooks, you do a quick release of the pressure and open the pot to add the cheese and let it sit to melt. Well, I couldn't get the top off the IP. 

I was in the process of texting my DIL Sara about something else and I had to interrupt the discussion to tell her I couldn't get the lid off. This is how our conversation went with all the typical typos (hint) you have to know where and what punctuation marks I would be using

ME Sorry to change the subject but if I can open the lid to the infant pot has it not released all of the pressure well what do I need to do 

SARA I don't understand what you mean (I'm not really surprised, I don't hardly understand myself reading it now. lol

ME I'm cooking something and when it got done I was supposed to release do a quick release and then open the lid and add the cheese I've done the quick release but I can't get the lid to open (now that makes more sense

SARA Oh hmmm 

Sara Kinda push down as you try to turn it open 

Sara No more air is coming out? Pin is down? (Gosh Sara uses punctuation marks

ME OK Pushing down opened it.  It took almost 2 minutes to get steam out. Is that normal 

SARA Yes.. some the fuller it is the longer it takes to release pressure 

Sara Some things 

ME Turned out good. (and then I sent her this picture)


SARA Looks good

So I will give Sara credit for my success because if I hadn't gotten the top off, we wouldn't have been able to enjoy it and I wouldn't be sharing it with you. I said she was a sweetheart putting up with her crazy mil.

INSTANT POT BAKED PENNE

1        tablespoon oil

1        lb ground beef

1/2     yellow onion chopped (I used minced onion)

1        teaspoon garlic powder

2        teaspoons Italian seasoning

3/4     teaspoon salt

Black pepper to taste

2        tablespoons tomato paste

2        teaspoons Balsamic vinegar

4        cups low sodium beef broth (I make my own using beef bouillon cubes and hot water - I used 5 cubes to the 4 cups of hot water for added flavor.)

1        14.5 - oz can diced tomatoes

1        16 - oz package penne pasta

1-2     cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 2 cups)




Brown the beef using the saute option on the IP.

Add oil and

then the ground beef and cook til done.

Add the onion, garlic powder, thyme, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and balsamic vinegar.

Cook for 30 second, stirring constantly.


Pour the beef broth into the pot and scrap any bits off the bottom of the inner pot using the spoon that comes with the IP or a wooden spoon as I did. (I didn't have any bits, but I scraped the bottom anyway. If you don't do this, you might get a burn warning - which I still haven't seen)

Stir in the tomatoes and

dry pasta.

Make sure pasta is covered with liquid.


Put the lid on the pot and press the Pressure Cook function and set the timer for 3 to 4 minutes. (3 minutes if the box says to cook the pasta less than 9 minutes and 4 minutes if longer. My pasta said to cook it for 11 - 13 minutes so I set the timer for 4 minutes.  Remember it will take maybe 10 minutes for the pressure to build and then the pressure cooker starts cooking. (I'm getting use to this extra time required.)


Once it has cooked for the amount of time,

do a quick release of the pressure (turn the lever to the right - the steam will start releasing - you will see the steam and hear it hissing) and

open the pot when all of the steam has released. Be careful as you remove the lid as there will be water in the lid and you can make a mess. I have a towel and dry it as soon as I left it. 


Stir in the cheese and


cover with the lid (I just rested the lid on top) and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Serve immediately. I added a little pepper.


















This is so good and heats up just as good. I put a serving in the microwave and heat for a little over a minute on the reheat pasta setting. The recipe makes so much for just two people, I ended up freezing some of it for later. I will get it out the night before to let it thaw in the refrigerator over night and then reheat it as above in the microwave. 

I think I am going to be in the LOVE group instead of the Intimidated group. You have to read my first post if you missed it. Check it out HERE. You can read  HERE about my learning to cook brown rice in my IP and HERE for chicken breasts.
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment