Thursday, November 19, 2020

APPLE-PUMPKIN BUTTER SPICE CAKE

 Two days ago I shared my recipe for Apple-Pumpkin Butter I cooked in my small slow cooker. I told you I would be sharing some recipes I made using it in a few days. Well, this Apple-Pumpkin Butter Spice Cake is one of them. I made it and took it to the volunteers on Monday when I went in to do my new normal cleaning. Quite a few of the volunteers made a point of thanking me and telling me how good it was.

The original recipe that inspired me came from a 1969 Pillsbury publication called a treasury of bake off favorites. They didn't even give credit to the baker. It is a perfect cake for this time of the year.



APPLE-PUMPKIN BUTTER SPICE CAKE


2-1/4    cups flour

1          cup sugar

1          teaspoon baking powder

1          teaspoon baking soda

1/2       teaspoon salt

1          teaspoon vanilla

1          cup sour cream (I used lite sour cream)

3/4       cup apple-pumpkin butter (or just apple butter)

1/2       cup shortening

2          eggs

Spice Crumb Topping

1/2       cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2       cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

1          teaspoon cinnamon

1/2       teaspoon nutmeg



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease the bottom only of a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Set aside.


In a large mixer bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk and

then add the vanilla, sour cream, apple-pumpkin butter, shortening, and eggs.

Blend at low speed until moistened; scrape the sides of the bowl and

then beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.

Spread half of the batter into the pan.

Sprinkle evenly over the batter half of the Spice Crumb Topping mixture.



Carefully spoon the rest of the batter over the topping in the pan, spreading to the edges.

(Using a knife helps do this.)

You will need to use your rubber spatula to get every bit of batter.

Sprinkle with remaining topping mixture.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Serve warm or cold.


Spice Crumb Topping
: In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg using a fork to blend well.






Notes: If you use self-rising flour, omit baking powder, soda, and soda.

High Altitude Adjustments - 5200 feet: Increase flour to 22-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment