Monday, November 9, 2020

FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

 I made this cake many years ago but my recipe was a little different. I needed something to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop last Monday but when I found this recipe in my Art of Amish Cooking cookbook contributed by Sadie Summerlot from IN and Alma Hershberger from OH, I thought I would try their recipe instead of my old recipe. 

As it turned out I woke up with a sinus headache and didn't go in, but Wayne took the cake down there so the volunteers could enjoy it. Later on Facebook Volunteer Sharon told me she liked the cake and wanted the recipe. I did eat a piece and it was good. Super moist and sweet for your sweet tooth.


FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

2         eggs

1-1/2   cups white sugar

2         cups flour

2         teaspoons baking soda

1         teaspoon cinnamon

1/2      teaspoon salt

1/2      teaspoon nutmeg

1         Number 303 can of fruit cocktail (juice and all) (That is a 16 to 17 oz can. Now the can is 15 oz)


1/2      cup brown sugar

1/2      cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)


1/2      cup white sugar

2/3      cup milk

1         stick butter (1/2 cup)

1         teaspoon vanilla


Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


Mix the eggs with the white sugar til well combined. I used a wooden spoon. Set aside.


Sift the flour, baking soda,, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.


Add the can of fruit cocktail with juice.

Add dry ingredients to the mixture and

stir til combined.

Pour into pan.


Mix the brown sugar and nuts and

sprinkle over the batter.


Bake for 1 hour. Make sauce while cake is baking (last 30 minutes)


To make sauce combine the white sauce, milk, butter, and vanilla.

Stir to melt butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring as needed.

Set aside.


Allow cake to cool about 15 minutes and

then spoon the sauce evenly over the cake.


Cut before ready to serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment