Saturday, November 21, 2020

BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP

 I usually use ground beef when I make a pot of vegetable beef soup, but we not this time since we recently bought a big family-size package of stew meat. We divided it up into about 1-1/4 lb packages and froze them for different use. I had seen a recipe for beef stew that looked really good and that was what I was thinking about when we bought it. The thing was though that they only had it in big packages. 

The recipe makes a BIG pot of soup which is great for big families. If you are like us and just the two of us, you might want to freeze some of it. You can freeze portions in freezer bags or freezer containers. Remove the night before and allow to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat on low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. It is just as good warmed up. Add a grilled cheese sandwich and you have the perfect meal for this time of the year.






BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP


1-1/2   lbs beef stew meat

1         tablespoon olive oil

1         (32 - oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, and lima beans)

1         (15 - oz) can tomato sauce

1          (14.5 - oz) can diced Italian-style tomatoes (I used 2 cups of my roasted fresh tomatoes)

1           medium baking potato, peeled, and diced

1           celery rib, chopped

1           medium onion, chopped (I used 2 teaspoons dried minced onion)

2           garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 teaspoons garlic powder)

1/2        cup ketchup

1           extra-large chicken bouillon cube (I used 2 regular size cubes)

1/2        teaspoon pepper

1-1/2     quarts water



Cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven 6 to 8 minutes, until browned. (I used my big soup pot.)


Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and the rest of the ingredients, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of the pot.


Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for an hour or until potatoes are tender.


Makes a big pot of soup. 









I made a fresh batch of the Roasted Tomatoes for the can of diced Italian-style tomatoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment