Thursday, November 12, 2020

BANANA APPLE CAKE

 I'm doing so much better with my baking since I started the list of recipes I wanted to do within a week or two. As I go through a cookbook or file of loose recipes, if I see something I really want to make, I write down the name of the recipe and where it is such as page in a cookbook or note paper, etc. If it is loose I put it in a file. If a cookbook, I can put the cookbook back on a shelf since I wrote down the page number. Once I make it I check it off and then after I write a post for it, I write a big "B" for blog. My problem right now I have been doing so much baking/cooking, I am still behind writing the recipes up. 

This Banana Apple Cake was a little different. I'm not sure where I saw the recipe. The recipe from Janet's Appalachian Kitchen was written on a piece of notebook paper. The way Janet dealt with the banana and apples is what is different and it made a difference in the results. I used sugar substitute for the sugar so we ended up eating the whole thing. I was surprised that you used an 8 - inch square pan and it did make a thick cake. I personally would use a little bit large pan such as a 9 - inch or 10 - inch square pan or even a 7 x 12 inch pan I have.



BANANA APPLE CAKE

4     tablespoon butter, room temperature

3     large eggs (actually 2 eggs and the egg white only from the 3rd egg)

3/4  cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of stevia/ erythritol blend)

2     tablespoons oil

1     teaspoon vanilla

2     cups flour

2     teaspoons baking soda

1/2  teaspoon salt

1/4  cup milk

2     large bananas, chopped

2     large apples, chopped


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray baking pan. (See discussion above recipe.) Set aside.


Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.


Using an electric mixer, beat butter, oil, and sugar for 2 minutes.

Beat in eggs, one at a time. Separate last egg and use only the white of the egg.

Add vanilla.


Chop the bananas and

apples.

Place in large bowl and

mash with a pastry blender. I still had chunks just smaller than what I had when I chopped the fruit.


Alternate the flour with

the milk and add to batter in mixing bowl.

You will notice I scrape the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula.

Fold in the apple/bananas.


Spread batter in pan and

bake until done about 30 - 35 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.


When cooled prepare cream cheese frosting:

4       oz cream cheese, room temperature (I used 1/3 less fat)

1/2    teaspoon clear vanilla

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)

2       tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)


Beat cream cheese until smooth.

Add vanilla.

Add powdered sugar and beat slowly at first and increase speed as the sugar is blended in.

Frosting should be smooth and spreadable.


Spread frosting on top of cake. Sprinkle top with nuts, if you like. (I omitted the nuts.)

Cut into squares to serve.

Store covered in the refrigerator any leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment