Friday, October 30, 2020

GRAPE-NUTS BREAD

 I'm sure I have seen a recipe for Grape-Nuts Bread in some of my cookbooks, but for whatever reason chose not to try it. Well, I'm not sure if it's because Wayne loves Grape-Nuts cereal or what but when he saw a posting from our friend Karen in Ventura talking about making a loaf and she fell asleep or something, Wayne was on a mission for me to find a recipe and make it for him.

I searched online and found three different recipes and then decided to look in the cookbook from the Heartstone Inn in Eureka Springs, AR that was nearby and there it was, a recipe. It was almost the same as one of the recipes I found online so I decided to just go with it. One of the recipes that claimed to be the original one on the box of cereal years ago had golden raisins, but it was the only one I found that called for raisins.

Wayne asked me if I could make it with whole wheat flour. I told him I would but like so many breads that use whole wheat flour, I had to use half all-purpose flour because I didn't have 4 cups of the whole wheat flour. I told him it was whole grains. One of the recipes online called for only 1 cup of sugar - half of the sugar the rest of the recipes called for. It is a sweet bread, so I may try using less sugar the next time I make it. And trust me there will be a next time. Wayne loves the bread (and I do also).

As I ate a slice smeared with peanut butter and sliced banana pieces for lunch, I let my mind run wild and pictured different sandwiches served at a luncheon such as pimento cheese, cucumber sandwiches, etc. using slices of this bread.   



GRAPE-NUTS BREAD

2       cups sour milk (I used buttermilk)

1       cup Grape-Nuts cereal

4       cups all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat flour)

1       teaspoon baking soda

2       teaspoons baking powder

2       cups sugar

2       eggs, beaten


Combine milk and Grape-Nuts in a bowl and let stand while you prepare the loaf pans and the rest of the ingredients.(I forgot to take a picture.😒 I measured the buttermilk in a four-cup measuring cup and add cereal to it. Stirred to make sure buttermilk was covering all the cereal.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 5 - inch loaf pans. Set aside. 


Combine flour(s), soda, baking powder, and sugar with a whisk.

Make a well in the center.


Add milk mixture to the flour mixture and

stir with a wooden spoon just to mix.


Add beaten eggs and

stir til well incorporated.


Divide the batter between the two loaf pans and bake for 1 hour.


Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack. Loosen if needed with a knife around the edges.

Remove from pans and finish cooling on wire rack. (We ate a slice or two while it was still warm. I covered with foil and put one in a gallon ziplock freezer bag to enjoy later.)


One more look...

No comments:

Post a Comment