Friday, October 9, 2020

AMISH APPLE BUNDT CAKE

 I have made many different apple cakes over the years, but when I saw this one in my Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook from the Amish community in Jamesport, MO I knew I had to try it. It is made in a Bundt pan and that always works great when I want to make something to take to the thrift shop for the volunteers. 

I read in another one of my Amish cookbooks that the family sharing the recipe said they could add a frosting to the cake, but just as likely, they would just dust some powdered sugar over the cake. I was glad to read that since so many of their recipes do not mention any frosting. I like just dusting with powdered sugar as that reduces the total calories in the dessert.

I also was excited to try the recipe because earlier I made a quick bread that contained some crushed pineapple. I always buy the 20 - oz can of crushed pineapple, but so often a recipe just calls for an 8 - oz can. The bread recipe did that and so I had leftover crushed pineapple stored in the refrigerator that I was eager to use. This recipe for the Apple Bundt Cake did not say to drain the pineapple so I just measured out 1 cup and made sure I got some of the juice.

BTW, the volunteers loved the cake and were so pleased to see I was bringing something. Volunteer Terry saw me come in the side door and offered to carry the cake. He said he wanted to make sure he got the first piece. 

I have started back volunteering at the shop, but not at the register. COVID19 caused some changes at the thrift shop. It was closed for a few weeks until the city decided it was an essential business. When they opened back up, they delayed opening for an hour (11:00 A.M.)  and since so many senior volunteers were hesitate to come back, they decided to stay closed on Mondays for business, but allowed the volunteers to come in to sort, etc. I finally decided that I could come in on Mondays but not to sort donations (the work area is small and crowded when there are lots of volunteers in). Instead when I come in on Mondays, I clean the work area for check-outs so everything is clean and orderly when the shop opens on Tuesday. I also vacuum. I laugh and say I don't work that hard at home. By the time I leave at noon, I am tired after going to the Y for a Lazy River exercise class I have started that lasts 45 minutes. I usually end up taking a little nap in the afternoon and watch a lot of television. 😉


APPLE BUNDT CAKE

3        cups flour

2        teaspoons soda

1/2     teaspoon salt

2        teaspoons cinnamon

3        eggs

1/2     teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2  cups oil

1-1/3  cups sugar

2        cups grated apples (2 large ones - I used Granny Smith)

1        (8-oz) can crushed pineapple (1 cup with some juice)

1         cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a Bundt pan.


Sift dry ingredients. Set aside.

Combine oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat well.

Add half of the dry ingredients and

blend.

Then blend in apples, pineapple, vanilla, and nuts.

Add the rest of the dry ingredients and beat.

Add eggs, one at a time.

Put batter in pan and

bake for 1 hour.

Cool for about 15 minutes. 


Invert the pan onto serving plate and finish cooling.

Before you are ready to serve, dust with sifted powdered sugar. So - so moist and so - so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment