Wednesday, October 14, 2020

PIZZA SCONES

 We have some projects done on our house and when we notigotiated the price for labor, we threw in that I would make lunch for them each day. (They have since told me I didn't have to make lunch for them. I would have though.) Anyway I started looking for things to cook - you can't have hamburgers every day you know. I found this recipe for Pizza Scones that sounded interesting in a Southern Living Fix It & Freeze It & Heat It & Eat It cookbook. I made a few changes, but what else is new. You could do your own changes for your personal taste and they would probably taste just as good.

The first day Wayne and I ate half of them (2 each) for lunch. Then I heated two up for us for breakfast Sunday. We still have the last two to eat. I think I enjoyed mine more the second day. I just put the two scones on a metal pie plate, placed them in the oven, preheated it to 350 degrees F and took them out when the oven had reached that temperature. That's the same way I warm up just about everything in the oven - pizza, biscuits, etc.

One change I will make the next time is I will use two precooked sausage patties instead of just one. I would like more taste from the sausage. I'm not crazy about the dried tomatoes and they were a little overpowering for me. Wayne thought they were great! 

CLICK HERE for a printable copy of just the recipe.



PIZZA SCONES

2     cups all-purpose baking mix

3/4  cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/4  cup dried tomatoes, thinly sliced (I chopped mine as they were already thin.)

1/4   cup sliced black olives

1/4   cup chopped salami (I chopped precooked sausage patties which were more than 1/4 cup.)

2      tablespoons cornmeal

1/2   teaspoon onion powder

1/2   teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

3      tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided

3/4   cup buttermilk

1-1/2  teaspoon olive oil

1/4     teaspoon black pepper

1        cup pizza sauce (optional)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet. 


Combine the first 8 ingredients and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.

Add the buttermilk and

stir until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; 


knead a few times and pat into an 8 - inch circle.

Place on baking sheet.

Brush top with oil;

sprinkle with pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.

Cut into 8 wedges.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Separate wedges and

serve with pizza sauce if desired.



Personal notes:
The dried tomatoes...

I combined the baking mix, cheeses, cornmeal, onion powder, and Italian seasoning first (I left out the black olives) and

then added the sausage and

finally the dried tomatoes because I was waiting for Wayne to get back from the store with a package.

2 comments: