Friday, October 16, 2020

PINEAPPLE-BANANA BREAD OR MUFFINS

 I have been doing so much baking lately that I can't keep up with the recipes on my blog. It's a good thing that my camera dates the pictures. I can't help it. When the temperatures start dropping, that's all I want to do. Glad I have friends to share the goodies with. I'm finally having some luck with trying to lose some pounds thanks to the lazy river at the YMCA (I believe) so I certainly want to enjoy that fact for a while. 

I made this bread on October 2, when I also made the Tutti-Fruitti Bread for Friend Janice for her birthday. The problem is I don't remember exactly who I shared the bread with. I had enough batter left to make a small loaf for us but some mystery person(s) got to enjoy the other loaves. 😏

Oh! The recipe is another fabulous one from the Heartstone Inn in Eureka Springs, AR.



PINEAPPLE-BANANA BREAD 

1-1/3    cup sugar

1/2       cup shortening

1          teaspoon vanilla

2          eggs

1          teaspoon salt

3/4       teaspoon soda

1/4       teaspoon baking powder

2          cup sifted flour

12        maraschino cherries, chopped

1/2       cup chopped nuts

1          cup crushed pineapple, drained

3          medium bananas, mashed (1 cup)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease loaf pans. Set aside. (I made two loaves 6 x 4 and one mini loaf about 6 x 3. Recipe says it will make two small 8 x 4 - in loaves.)


Cream shortening and sugar.

Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.

Combine dry ingredients and add.

(NOTE. Recipe calls for sifted flour. I measured 2 cups of flour and then sifted it and

remeasured 2 cups. This is the excess I had.

Stir in mashed bananas, crushed drained pineapple, chopped nuts,

and chopped cherries.

Turn batter into loaf pans.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes depending on size of loaf pans you are using.

Cool about 10 minutes and remove to finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap in foil.


This is the smaller mini loaf I made for us.


If you want to make muffins: Grease 18 muffin cups and fill about 3/4 full. Bake at 375 for about 22 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I used frozen bananas which probably wasn't a good idea and I drained as much juice out of the pineapple as I could and it came out wet. However, it makes terrific spoon bread. This recipe could be made with a lot less sugar. Doesn't need all the sugar as the pineapple makes it very sweet. I only have one loaf pan and I'm making muffins with the rest. Will cook longer and see what happens. Hubby will like this but I'm not gifting the bread to my son-in-law as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually reduced the sugar from 1-1/2 cups for that reason. Did you try baking the loaf longer? I always bake until loaf doesn't sink in the center when I press on it. I don't think using frozen bananas should make a difference. Patricia

      Delete