Wednesday, October 21, 2020

BLUEBERRY BISCUITS

 Joyce Varney from Windham, ME calls these Blueberry Biscuits in Gooseberry Patch's Made from Scratch cookbook. I might consider calling them Blueberry Muscuits as they taste more like muffins than biscuits. I made them two ways - in a muffin tin and then just dropped them on a cookie sheet. 

I was actually attracted to the recipe because she noted at the top of the recipe, "If you can get them, wild blueberries taste great in this recipe." We buy the frozen (no sugar added) wild blueberries at Costco so I had wild blueberries. They are smaller than regular blueberries. I gave some to Jay and Justin, our construction guys who are doing several projects for us around the house. (See pictures below) I also sent some with Wayne for his golfing buddies as he went to play a round of golf.

The recipe made almost two and a half dozen. I used a smaller ice cream scoop to make them instead of a spoon. It was just the right amount.


BLUEBERRY BISCUITS

4     cups flour

1     teaspoon baking soda

2     teaspoons cream of tartar

1     teaspoon salt

4     tablespoons shortening

1     cup molasses

2     cups blueberries (I used frozen wild blueberries)

1     cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray lightly a regular sized muffin pan or baking sheet.


Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl.

Cut in shortening. (I used my fingers.)

Make a well in the center and pour in the molasses.

Stir til moistened.

Carefully fold in blueberries with milk to moisten.


I used a small ice cream scoop that holds a scant 1/4 cup to scoop batter into muffin pans and on cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.


Dropped on the cookie sheet...

Here is one of the projects Jay and Justin have completed... I had this idea to enclose the area under the open stairs from the "back porch" that we had built last year on part of our huge deck. The patio area always looks so cluttered because of things that take up too much room to store in the garage with two cars. The first three pictures are before from different views:




This is what it looks like now...







No comments:

Post a Comment