Monday, October 26, 2020

PUMPKIN AND CHIP COOKIES (AMISH)

 When Jay and Justin, were here working on our house, my canasta group invited themselves to our house (yard) for our social distancing gathering. Wayne was going to be playing golf so I was going to miss our gathering to stay home with the guys. When I let the group know I would miss meeting in the park and really hated it, Friend Ellen suggested we meet in our driveway as long as we wouldn't be in the way of the workers. We didn't have to meet in the driveway, but positioned ourselves in the front yard in some shade. It turned out to be a beautiful day with a nice breeze and some pretty fall colors to enjoy. 

Our section of our neighborhood has the prettiest fall colors in the area, usually. This year the trees are as beautiful as ever, they just aren't turning at the same time. It has been a dry fall and I think that makes a difference. 

That morning I got up early and made these Pumpkin and Chip Cookies. The recipe said it made 5 dozen cookies, but I knew Jay and Justin would enjoy some and then I could give some to each of the ladies. As it turned out I made almost 6-1/2 dozen, but everyone of them was enjoyed. I found Sarah Mae Yoder's recipe in the Jamesport Kuntry Favorites cookbook. I considered using something besides the chocolate chips in them because I know Friend Janice isn't crazy about chocolate chips in cookies. I know. How could this be? Well, I couldn't come up with anything, so I decided I would just make a few and make sure I didn't get any chips in them. That worked out great and I am so glad I didn't omit them. The combination of the pumpkin and the dark rich chocolate chips was awesome!



PUMPKIN AND CHIP COOKIES

1       cup pumpkin

1       cup sugar

1/2    cup oil

1       egg

2       cups flour

2       teaspoon baking powder

1       teaspoon cinnamon

1/2    teaspoon salt

1       teaspoon soda in 1 teaspoon milk

1       cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao chips)

1/2    cup nuts, chopped (optional) (I did not omit)

1       teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


Mix pumpkin, sugar, oil and egg with a wooden spoon.

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together.

Add to pumpkin mixture along with

the soda mixture.


Stir in chips, nuts, and vanilla.

Drop by spoonfuls. (I use a cookie scoop leveled off on top.)

Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Allow cookie sheet to cool before filling it again with dough. I prepare the sheet a minute or two before pan in oven will be done. 

Makes 5 to 6 dozen cookies.




My friends social distancing gathering...


Some of the trees that were pretty then. Our two maple trees were still green.






It is always interesting to see how some of the trees turn as in the last two pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment