Tuesday, May 26, 2020

DAY 74 and CONFETTI OATMEAL DROPS

Just one more week and it will be my birthday month. I wonder how I will spend it. I guess it depends on how this COVID - 19 is effecting us. I will try to come up with some interesting ways to celebrate. I will be doing it with shorter hair. (See picture below.) Hair and nail salons opened this past week with appointments and masks only. I think departments stores could open with social distance and maybe masks but I haven't ventured in to any so I'm not sure. I've just noticed cars in front of some as we drive around. 

With the cookie jar empty, I had to find a new cookie recipe to try. I discovered this interesting recipe in Better Homes & Garden's Favorite DESSERTS Made Lighter. I might question its inclusion in a cookbook of "Favorites", but I can understand how it could become a "favorite" and thus would fit in this cookbook. We haven't even eaten all of them and Wayne is telling me I need to make some more. They suggested in the cookbook, to keep some in the freezer for a surprise treat. Not a bad idea! One cookie has 20% fewer calories with 70 calories/cookie and 60% less fat (total fat 2g).

Since it is not unusual for me to make some changes in recipes, it might not surprise you I made two changes. I used ground whole wheat flour instead of the all-purpose flour and I also used parchment paper to line the cookie sheets instead of using an ungreased cookie sheet. I used my cookie scoop to measure out the batter which worked great. The cookies didn't flatten out though as they baked so I decided to flatten with my fingers the other two sheets. Later I noticed they are called "drops" so maybe not flattening them is better. My husband liked the first ones. I have pictures of both.

I gave some to Friend Fran and had her guess what ingredients were in them. She guessed everything but the zucchini. It was fun!



CONFETTI OATMEAL DROPS

1/3     cup margarine, softened (I used unsalted butter.)
2/3     cup sugar
1        teaspoon baking powder
1        teaspoon ground cinnamon
1        egg
1/2     cup finely shredded carrots
1/2     cup finely shredded zucchini
1/2     teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups flour (I used ground whole wheat flour.)
3/4     cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2     cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
Add the sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Beat mixture till thoroughly combined scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Beat in the egg, carrot, zucchini, and vanilla.
Beat in the flour.
Add oats and raisins.
Drop dough about 2 inches apart. Cookies do not spread as they bake.
Bake about 10 minutes or till golden.



Remove and cool on wire rack. Makes 3 dozen delicious cookies.
Here are the ones I flattened with my fingers.














My new haircut... (The new me minus about 4-1/2 inches)




























I'm adding a new stat to my data...the number of recovered, closed cases...

COVID - 19 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, 5/26/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES    1,708,265
RECOVERED                   464,728
DEATHS                             99,846

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES    5,617,182
RECOVERED                2,391.974
DEATHS                           348,532

Back to the beginning of this pandemic...

No comments:

Post a Comment