Thursday, May 28, 2020

DAY 76 and EVERYDAY WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS

"My biscuit lineup now features a whole-wheat biscuit. Because these are the biscuits I eat most often these days, I decided to call them my "everyday" biscuits. I suggest you eat these biscuits while they're still warm -- that's when they're at their absolute best." so says Paula Deen in her Paula Deen Cuts the Fat cookbook.

The recipes makes about 18 biscuits since they are cut with a two-inch round cutter so they last us several days, but I have already made the biscuits twice in about 10 days. (I'm not used to making my biscuits so small but I don't feel quilty eating two of them at a time this way.) The biscuits aren't 100% whole wheat biscuits, but because they contain some whole wheat flour, they are identified as whole wheat. I actually like them better than when I make biscuits by my awesome buttermilk biscuit recipe and substitute whole wheat flour for half of the flour. Another interesting thing about this recipe is I didn't make any changes to it. I know that is really rare for me, but it's the truth.

I love the crusty bottoms and am amazed that using parchment paper is apparently why.



EVERYDAY WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS

1-1/4     cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4     cups whole wheat flour
1           tablespoon baking powder
3/4        teaspoon baking soda
1           teaspoon salt
4           tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
1-1/4     cups buttermilk, plus more for brushing
1           teaspoon honey

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, whisk together both flours. baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Cut in the butter with a fork or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Stir in the buttermilk and honey until just combined.


Turn dough out one a piece of wax or parchment paper. Pat the dough down to 3/4 inches thick. Using a 2 - inch round biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits.
Gather the scraps and pat out the dough again (do this only once) to cut out more biscuits.
(I decided to experiment and cut them into squares.)

Place the biscuits on the parchment paper and
generously the tops of the biscuits with the extra buttermilk.



Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. 




Spread with butter and add some homemade peach jam. Yummy!

As far as how I've been spending my time, after a "downer-last week", I'm working on a new Blanket of Hope that I will be sharing with you maybe in my next post. I saw the finished quilt in a quilt magazine and decided how to make it. I also made another strip quilt (top only this time). I didn't have a piece for the backing so I just sewed the strips together and when I find a backing, I will just stitch-in-the-ditch to make the blanket. It's faster to "sew and quilt-in-one" but I didn't want to wait. I think some little boy is going to love it.





Yesterday afternoon we reached 100,000 deaths in the United States and as our country "opens up", I fear that number is just going to continue to rise. Please everyone stay safe.

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS 5/28/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES          1,746,217
RECOVERED CASES            490,151
DEATHS                                  102,114

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES           5,814,592
RECOVERED CASES          2,515,490
DEATHS                                   357,977

Day 80 and another fantastic cookie...

No comments:

Post a Comment