Friday, May 8, 2020

DAY 56 - AND DOWNTON ABBEY SCONES

Day 56 and trying to get back to the new normal, a.k.a. social distancing. We are trying to get back because we had to take a little break when our older son Jeffrey and his family from CO had to make a quick trip to MO to pick up Bella. 

It kinda of a long story, but they brought Bella home from the hospital when she was two days old almost 16 months ago. She eventually was returned to her biological mother and after moving back to MO 6 weeks ago, decided to ask Jeffrey and Sara if they would come get Bella and raise her. So now the family is back to 8, but they are loving it. They drove over on Monday and then went back to CO yesterday.

It is always sad for me when I see them because we don't don't get to see them as much as I would like, but it was a good visit, we enjoyed some good barbeque younger son Patrick made, and the "cousin" thoroughly enjoyed playing with themselves. We took some family pictures but I haven't seen them yet. The weather has been a good 10 degrees below normal this week and they are even talking about 37 for the low tonight. Patrick and Lori are going to have to cover the tomato plants that we planted Sunday. The temperatures toward the end of next week are supposed to be back to the 70s for high. Crazy. 

As I said, Jeffrey and family drove over on Monday. They drove down to southern MO to pick up Bella on Tuesday and left Colby (16) and Sadie (12) with us. What fun! I started some scones when I got up, but didn't get them finished before everyone arrived. That meant right after they left, Sadie and I went to the kitchen to finish them. I always enjoy being in the kitchen with my grandchildren and this time was just as special. Since I had the dough ready, Sadie was interested in what was in the recipe and we had fun discussing the recipe. 

I don't remember exactly from where I copied the recipe, but I had been planning to make the scones for a while, so I had already converted the recipe to some easier measurements. The recipe called for 450 g of self-rising flour. When I looked that up, it said that was 3-5/8 cups. I don't know who has a measuring cup for 5/8ths so I changed that to 3-1/2 cups and then 2 tablespoons. It called for 100 g of butter so I converted that to 1/3 cup + 6 tablespoons and 250 ml milk (1 cup). The recipe also used centimeters and I had checked on that also to change it to inches. I took the oportunity to use it as a teaching method when we flattened out the dough and was decided how thick to make it and then for the cutter. That was also fun!

One other comment - the recipe calls for caster sugar. (I had to look that one up) Caster sugar is very fine sugar. When I looked it up, I read that you can "process" the sugar using your blender. Just be careful because if you do it too much, you will have powdered sugar. I decided to just use my regular granulated sugar. I explained to Sadie that in the south you can buy extra fine sugar, but I hadn't ever seen it anywhere yet.

I have made scones a few times, but the dough was always cut into pie shapes (triangles). This recipe used a round cutter. After they baked (and looked so funny), I looked up scones and guess what - ours looked just like the picture online. Cool!



DOWNTOWN ABBEY SCONES

(450 g) 3-1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
2  teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
(100 g) 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
4  tablespoons caster sugar
(250 ml)1  cup milk (+ extra as needed) 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly dust baking sheet with flour.


Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
Crumble the butter and rub with flour and fingertips
to make fine crumbs.
Stir in sugar using a fork.
Add milk gradually just enough to make a soft ball. If necessary add a drop or two more milk and work as little as necessary. (I definitely had to add more milk.)
Sprinkle some flour over worktop and
bring dough into a ball with floured hands. 
Roll dough (I just pressed it with my fingers) to 2 cm thick (about 3/4 inch).
Using a 5 cm butter (about 2 inches) stamp (cut) out a round 9 (Granddaughter Sadie got to do this part.)
and place on baking sheet. Rework dough until all is cut. Dust with flour
and bake 10 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
Cool on wire rack. 
When I looked up scones online to see a picture, it said to serve with butter and jam - so that's what we did.














Here's a picture of Sadie with Miss Bella 












It's seems a little sad to add the Coronavirus Pandemic numbers but that's what I have been doing since we started this...

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC 5/8/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES      1,256,972
DEATHS                                75,670

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES       3,866,642
DEATHS                               270,118


STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!

Day 60...

No comments:

Post a Comment