Monday, May 4, 2020

DAY 52 - VANISHING OATMEAL COOKIE

It is day 52 since we started our personal social distancing.  When you say "Day 52" it sounds like a long time, but in another week it will be Day 60 or two months. Sometimes when I think two months, that sounds like a long time and then other times it doesn't. It certainly feels longer. It seems forever since I played cards with my friends. Two scheduled monthly gatherings of our Ladies' Lunch Bunch have come and gone and cancelled. With the country opening up, but number of cases increasing instead of going down, I can't help but wonder when we will be meeting again.

The last two weeks went back quickly for me. I guess because I was busy with projects. I finished two more Blankets of Hope the last couple of weeks, I made more face masks, and I painted over the stained door frames for the five  remaining doors in our hall. (I had painted the one going into the bathroom two years ago when we remodeled the bathroom.) I still need to do the inside frames, but I'm good for now. As long as the doors are all closed, it looks good.

I hadn't planned to door the one for the small linen closet at the end of the hall right now, but after finishing the other four, they looked so good, I decided to go on and do it. As I waited for the frame to dry, every time I walked by I enjoyed seeing one less door. (We took the door off for me to paint it since the door opened out into the hallway.) I finally hit upon the idea of leaving the door off and using it to display pictures of the family, especially the grandkids. It is still a work in progress, but I am so loving seeing the kiddos as I walk down the hall and turn to go into our bedroom.

I am still on a cookie-making trip and today I am sharing a oatmeal raisin cookie recipe I found online. I omitted the raisins and added chocolate chips instead. I am still trying to find a recipe that tastes like the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie we got at our favorite place to eat, Roxanne's Cafe. This wasn't it, but it was a good oatmeal cookie, heavy on the word oatmeal as it has twice as much oatmeal as it does flour. So many oatmeal cookies are not like that as they focus more on the flour than on the oatmeal.



VANISHING OATMEAL COOKIE

1/2     cup (1 stick) + 6 tablespoons butter
3/4     cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3     cup granulated sugar 
2        eggs
1        teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups flour
1        teaspoon baking soda
1        teaspoon salt
3        cups old fashioned oats
1        cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars until creamy using an electric mixer.
Add eggs and vanilla continuing to beat well.
In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and oats using a whisk.
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir on low speed. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop (1 tablespoon) drop dough onto *cookie sheet* and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store tightly covered.














I tried baking the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet as the recipe stated and on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. I definitely preferred the ones baked on the parchment paper. The ones on the right I baked 12 minutes as the ones on the left didn't look quite done in the center at only 10 minutes. This allowed them to get a more golden brown, too.



These are the ones I baked on the ungreased cookie sheet. I didn't like the way they spread as they baked.



Here are some before pictures of the hallway...



















Semi-finished...














Work in progress...














Getting there...



Here are pictures of my latest Blankets of Hope...


still on my design wall...
finished with binding (you have to look closely to see the pretty binding)



and this one...



Friend Fran completed this pretty purple one...

























Once again - the staggering numbers...

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS  5/4/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES              1,167,241
DEATHS                                        68,076

GLOBAL

CONFIRMED CASES              3,517,192
DEATHS                                      248,038


Day 56 and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment