Tuesday, March 24, 2020

NOT IN MY WILDEST DREAMS

If you had told me a few weeks ago that this is how I would be spending my days, I wouldn't have believed you. 

I am reminded of what always goes through my mind when we are traveling and traffic is moving along fine. Then something happens - a wreck or road construction, etc and the traffic pretty much comes to a standstill in the lanes going in the opposite direction than we are going. We may drive a mile or two wondering how far the traffic is going to be at a stand still. Gradually the traffic gets thinner, back to normal. That's when the thought goes through my mind, "They have no idea what is ahead of them."

That's where I find myself today ... I had no idea this is what was ahead of me several weeks ago. Back in January, the first week, we spent our Christmas with our CO family. If there was any talk/news about COVID-19, I honestly don't remember it. We came home and then left 11 days later enroute to Hilton Head Island for two weeks. We visited with Wayne's family in Tennessee on the way there and back (we had been there for 3 days right after Christmas for a wedding) and searched two cemeteries for my ancestors. W e watched a lot of television while in Hilton Head because it rained a lot and it was a good 10 degrees below normal so it was "coolish" walking on the beach, but I don't remember much talk about COVID-19. (I think it was all about the impeachment. That seems so long ago now.)

Back in KC, I tried to adjust to being back home after being away so much since Christmas. Friends Janice and Fran and I enjoyed seeing the stage production of Come From Away  a week after we got back. I had missed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory while we were in South Carolina and was really excited about seeing Come From Away. (And it was fabulous!) That seems so long ago now.

I didn't go to handbell practice because I wasn't going to be able to play when we played in church because we were going to be gone again - this time to Ventura, CA and I didn't go into Hillcrest Thrift Shop to work because I had Blanket of Hope meeting and the days they needed cashiers were days I had other things going on.  All these irregularities had nothing to do with COVID-19 just getting around to our next trip. 

We must have finally been hearing something about COVID-19 though because Janice told me she was concerned about our flying to CA. She said she thought I should wear a mask or something. At this point, I think she was being more funny than serious. 

We flew to CA on Feb 26 and stayed a few days with Friends Phyllis and her husband Marshall enjoying temperatures in the upper 70s and the SUN in Camarillo. We never turned the television on the two days we stayed with them before going on to our "resort" where we would be staying for a week in Ventura, and I don't remember talking about it and precautions we should be taking. (The thing that was happening on the news was about the different cruise ships and all the people not allowed to disembark. Because of the many cruises we have taken, I did feel terrible for them, but still no concern about us.)

The only thing I do remember before that week was over (except about the cruise ships) and then flying home was washing my hands often. There was never any concern about crowds in stores or even eating out. We went to church, twice, and of course, ate out a lot. We visited with friends from our 21 years living there. There was no major alarm being sounded. We had a great "free" time. 

Flying back on Friday, March 6 discussion in the restrooms in the airports usually centered around washing our hands. I remember one lady laughed and said we had all learned how to wash our hands this week and I said several times that I felt like I had washed the outer layer of skin off my hands. Still no other major alarm. 

I guess it wasn't until after we home that concern arose in the USA re people getting the virus. It was such a crazy time for me because we had been in CA for 9 days on Pacific Time Zone (2 hours later than us in Central Time Zone), got back to KC and 24 hours of CT before moving clocks ahead 1 hour because Daylight Savings Time started Sunday, March 8. When I taught school, especially, it would take my body a week to adjust to the time change when daylight savings time started. In a matter of about 9 or 10 weeks, my body had gone from CT, to ET, back to CT, and then to PT, back to CT, and then DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME STARTS! I'm sure my body was saying, "Give me a break!"

So four days after we got back to KC I woke up Tuesday with a slight sore throat and terrible cough. I was also having some sinus problems. Since moving to KC almost 12 years ago, I have had bronchitis two or three times. Thursday morning my cough sounded worse and my chest was working a little bit so I decided I needed to go make sure I wasn't getting bronchitis. I also was gathering with the Mexican Train ladies and wanted to make sure I wasn't contagious. 

At the grocery store right across the street from my doctor's office there is a walk-in clinic through the same medical group. It isn't always easy to get a same-day appointment with my doctor so the last year or so I have just gone to the walk-in clinic feeling that if something was serious with me, the PA  would call my doctor. I was asked when I checked in if I had been traveling within the last 14 days, but Ventura wasn't one of the cities on the list of "hot spots" in CA. (So I guess there was finally some concern.) 

Even though Ventura wasn't on the "list", the PA had me put on a mask and kept her distance from me. She tested me for flu but it was negative. She said my lungs sounded good, but she would give me an inhaler and she also gave me a little capsule for the cough. Since I had no fever, she said I wasn't contagious and could be with my friends that afternoon. She did call the Health Dept while I was there and told them my particulars. She just said for me to come back if I developed a fever or symptoms got worse.

On my way home, I called Friend Carol where we were gathering to tell her what was happening with me and let her decide if she would prefer that I stay home that afternoon. She laughed and said of course I could come. She greeted me with a big hug at the door because it had been at least 2 months since we had seen each other with all of our traveling. I went through my story again as everyone gathered, but no one seemed concerned. I coughed but not a whole lot and we all had a great time. 

Before we left, Carol asked Janice and me if we thought we should just come back to her house for dinner the next night instead of going out to eat for Tasty Bunch because she had dessert taken care of. (I knew she had ordered a cake for Janice and Leon's 60th wedding anniversary that she planned to serve.) We said okay. We didn't realize it at the time but that Friday night, Friday, the 13th, would be the last normal night we would have with anyone.

The next day, Saturday, our church cancelled all church activities and said for us to watch the service as it was streamed online. Even though life was going on as normal in a lot of places in the US, people in Kansas City had started self-isolating themselves. 

It still seems so strange. One day just seems to run into the next one. While Washington State had a major concern with a nursing home (I think that was the first outbreak we had here and I still haven't heard exactly how they were infected.) Cruise ships, I think. were the first places of concern as our trip was ending in CA. We have taken a number of cruises and we were glad we were not on one at that time. It seems like everything just started happening so quickly. 

After about 7 days, my cough lessened and I realized my symptoms were just allergy related now. I don't know what I had. They usually say a cold last 5 to 7 days, so maybe that is what I had. It has been so long since I last had one. Everything I get seems to be allergy related. Last night is the first time I have been in a store for 12 days. Wayne would go buy a few groceries if we needed some. After a few day of not getting out of the house, I started going with him but staying in the car. I told him people didn't want to be around someone coughing. It makes them nervous.

On the 15th, we were able to video chat with our older son, Jeffrey, in CO. That was a highlight during this time. It had been quite a while since the last time we had talked. We still didn't realize completely what our new "normal" was going to be.

Tuesday the 17th we were supposed to see Fiddler on the Roof at Kauffman and it was cancelled to be rescheduled. A few days later I heard that the Theater League was cancelling with hopes to reschedule the production of Aladdin we were supposed to see in April. At the time I didn't think there would be a problem but now, I doubt very seriously we will be seeing the rest of the season of shows.  Then on Saturday, the 21th we got to video chat with grandchildren Madison and Tyler. That's what I need a lot of.

The first few days after we got back from CA, the weather was warm here and we had sun. Then the temperatures dropped and the days were cloudy and rainy. The weather just seemed to model how we were all feeling. As I write this the sun is trying to come out and it is amazing how much that little occurrence can lift my feelings.

The rain and cooler temperatures plus the fact that trees are starting to bud out - all have made me feel I am a prisoner in my own house. I don't know how long this is going to last...the reports are not good as far as the number of "cases" and even deaths are increasing, but I will continue to stay in touch with friends through texting groups, etc. I spent yesterday sewing on face masks for dil Lori who is a physical therapist who treats patients who have just come home from the hospital. Today I decided to take a break and get some of my thoughts down. It is surprising how quickly all of this has happened here. As I tried to remember what had occurred, I can't believe it has only been 18 days since we got back from CA. Life is no longer the old normal. Grocery stores open from 7 to 8 for "us older folks" to go shopping, restaurants are only open for take-out, church is happening online, no one wants to get close to you, everyone now is home-schooled, proms are cancelled and maybe even graduation.  Not in my wildest dreams just a few weeks ago.

I thought I would share with you the view outside my sewing room. I took the picture four days ago. Every thing looks so innocent.



Here is a picture of the 4 masks I made for Lori. The top one is one for the kids. I need to see if it fits them.


I could only get two folds in the kid's size.

to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been writing about it too. Maybe our grandkids will read it some day and understand what it was like. Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joann, thanks. I hope when my grandkids are older that they will read my posts and enjoy them and maybe even learn something. This was a difficult post to write as it is hard to remember all that was happening and not happening. It has all been so surreal. Patricia

      Delete