Friday, March 13, 2020

FRENCH SILK PIE

While we were in Ventura, CA recently, we enjoyed two pies from Marie Callendar. They were having their annual pie sale - fruit pies - $7.99, cream pies - $8.99, and cheesecakes - $9.99. We couldn't resist - that's why we bought two. It wasn't very smart though because it takes more than 7 days for us to eat two whole pies. One morning for breakfast, I had a bowl of cereal and a piece of Key Lime Pie. Don't get me wrong - it was delicious, but really - pie for breakfast.

Well Tuesday night after dinner my husband reminded me we didn't have any Key Lime pie to eat - so I told him I would make a pie the next day. I had no idea what kind I was going to make, but I figured I wouldn't have any trouble finding one to make. And I didn't.

I love French Silk pies in restaurants and didn't have to think long before deciding that was the one I was going to make. I have never made one before but it was pretty simple and you know me - I like simple. Mrs. H. J. Trees of the United Methodist Church of the Hamptons in Hampton, New Hampshire shared her recipe in the Yankee Church Supper Cookbook of 1980. I have several Yankee Magazine cookbooks and have always enjoyed the recipes I have tried from them.


FRENCH SILK PIE

1     baked 8"  pastry shell
1/2  cup butter
3/4  cup sugar
1     oz baking chocolate, melted
1     teaspoon vanilla
2     eggs 
1     8 - ounce container of whipped topping (I didn't use all of it though)

Bake pie crust according to directions on box or recipe. Let cool completely.

Melt the chocolate square(s) according to directions on package. (I melted mine in the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds which was plenty of time).

Cream butter and sugar.
(I sliced my stick of butter into narrow slices so they would cream easily with the sugar.)

Blend in the melted chocolate and vanilla til smooth.
(Make sure you use your spatula to get every bit of the melted chocolate.)
Add eggs, 1 at a time,
beating mixture for 5 minutes at medium speed for each egg. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl between each addition.


Spoon mixture into pie crust. 

Cover with whipped topping and then
grate a little chocolate over top.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment