Wednesday, July 10, 2019

FUZZY NAVAL CAKE

Fuzzy Naval Cake. If you are like me and my husband Wayne, this just might sound like a disgusting cake. The intro for the recipe talked about a Fuzzy Naval mixed drink, but we had never heard of it.

Fortunately when I asked some of the volunteers at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop), my overwhelming response was, "Oh yeah, drank those back in the 70s. Orange juice, right?" Since the recipe called for rum extract, I decided it must have been orange juice and rum. 

As word spread in the shop, it quickly disappeared. I haven't had quite that reaction from anything I have brought in a long time.. The recipe from Dessert Every Night by Jo Anna M. Lund with Barbara Alpert was intended to be almost sugar-free and fat-free. I didn't have 1/2 cup of stevia so I just used the real thing. I did use vanilla extract because I didn't have any rum extract and couldn't find any at HyVee, the closest grocery store to us. I also used the rest of the liquid in the canned peaches for part of the orange juice in the frosting. Read the recipe carefully as there is a lot of dividing the ingredients into two amounts and adding them at separate times. The cake is full of chopped peaches which is an added treat!

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



FUZZY NAVAL CAKE

1       16-ounce can of peaches, packed in fruit juice, drained, and 1/4 cup liquid reserved
2        cups unsweetened orange juice (divided)
1-1/3  cups nonfat dry milk powder (divided)
1-3/4  cups flour
1/2     cup stevia or Splenda
1        teaspoon baking flour
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     cup fat-free mayonnaise (I used salad dressing.)
1        teaspoon rum extract (I used vanilla extract)

1/4     cup chopped pecans
1        (4-serving) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1-1/2  cups Sugar-Free whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.













Coarsely chop peaches (while draining). (Forgot to take a picture. You can see them in the picture below when I added them to the mixture.)

In a bowl, combine the reserved liquid (1/4 cup), 3/4 cup orange juice, and 2/3 cup dry milk powder with a whisk.
Set aside.

In a large (batter) bowl, combine the flour, stevia, baking powder, and baking soda with a whisk.
Add mayo, liquid mixture, and rum or vanilla extract.
Mix well just to combine.
Fold in chopped peaches and
pecans.
Pour mixture into pan.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tests done.
Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.


In a medium bowl, combine dry pudding mix and remaining 2/3 cup dry milk powder with whisk and then
add remaining 1-1/4 cup orange juice. (I poured the remaining liquid from the canned peaches first and then finished filling with the orange juice to measure 1-1/4 cups of juice.)
Mix well with a wire whisk.
Fold in whipped topping making sure you have completely blended it.
Spread mixture evenly over cooled cake.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Cut into squares to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment