Monday, July 15, 2019

STREUSEL CREAM PEACH PIE (AMISH)

It is Sunday evening as I am writing this. I had planned to write up a recipe shared by Friend Carol for an ice cream dessert that we had last weekend. "I had planned", but you will have to wait until Wednesday for that post. Instead I just have to share this awesome Streusel Cream Peach Pie with you. 

I bought about 8 beautiful peaches earlier last week because they were on sale for 88 cents/lb. They looked ripe, but they never are. If farmers waited to pick them when they were ripe, they would never make it to market. I bring them home and put them in a single layer in a paper sack, fold down the top, put the sack in a dark corner in my dinning room, and wait for them to ripen. I checked them about three days later and they smelled like peaches so I knew they were ripe. The problem was I was busy doing something else so I just closed the sack and almost forgot about them. Yesterday while taking a break from preparing the Sunday school lesson for this morning, I remembered them and put them in the refrigerator to deal with later. Let's just say they were really ripe now.

Well, I survived teaching my Sunday school class even though we couldn't get any sound for the DVD so I had to go with plan B. When I got home after eating lunch with Friend Janice and her husband, (Wayne was skipping lunch and went to workout at the gym.) I checked out recipes to make a pie or crunch, and then went to my sewing room to sew the squares together for another Blanket of Hope. By this time Wayne was mowing the yard so I thought it was a good time to make the pie and surprise him. 

I took one bite of the pie and I was swooning. The ripe peaches are so flavorful. The nutmeg offers a surprising treat. The whole pie is just different; doesn't taste like any peach pie I have ever eaten. I generally followed the recipe (from Tasteful Treasures from the Horse and Buggy Country of Copewango Valley, New York cookbook) except for a couple of things. I used 1/4 cup stevia/sugar baking blend for the 1/2 cup of sugar because my sugar bowl was empty. I also used skim milk for the cream because I didn't have any cream. I added 1/4 cup of finely chopped pecans to the streusel mixture I put on top. The size of the pie plate was not specified but I used an 8-1/2 inch pie plate that was one of my mother's. I wanted the four cup of peaches to be piled in the pie.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


STREUSEL CREAM PEACH PIE

1     unbaked pie shell
4     cups peaches, quartered (I did just slice my peaches)
1/2  cup sugar (or 1/4 cup stevia/sugar baking blend)
1/2  teaspoon nutmeg
1     egg
2     tablespoons cream (milk will work)
1/4  cup brown sugar
1/2  cup flour
1/4  cup soft butter (butter at room temperature)
1/4  cup finely chopped pecans (my addition)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 

To keep the fresh peaches from turning dark, add some lemon juice to cold water in a deep bowl and add the peach slices to the mixture as you peel and cut them. (You want the peaches to be pretty, so go on and
prepare the streusel mixture for the top,
combine the sugar and nutmeg in a small bowl, and
beat the egg and the milk and set aside.
) When everything is ready to make the pie, drain the peaches before you put them in the pie shell.


Put peaches in pie crust.
Sprinkle over top of peaches with the sugar/nutmeg mixture.
Pour the egg and cream that you have beaten together evenly over the peaches and sugar.
Crumble the streusel mixture over the top. 
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned.
Cool on wire rack.





Here is a picture of the Blanket of Hope quilt top I sewed before I made the pie. I just love all of the pretty colors and prints.



No comments:

Post a Comment