Monday, July 1, 2019

COLESLAW

On Father's Day we were able to spend the day with at least one of our sons, Patrick. Too bad that our older son Jeffrey wasn't there but it's not easy for them to make the nine hour trip from CO to come here. Patrick decided to BBQ for our dinner and asked me to bring the coleslaw.

My mother always made such good coleslaw but I could't find a recipe in her recipe box. I was thinking about making a 24-Hr Coleslaw but changed my mind when I saw it was a vinegar based coleslaw. (We prefer the salad dressing based coleslaw.) I was going to take the easy way out and buy a bag of the coleslaw mix, but Aldi didn't have any. They did have a head of cabbage so I decided I would just cut it up. When Mother eventually started buying the bagged mix, she would still chop it up finer. She didn't like coleslaw with big pieces of cabbage and so neither do I. It's been a long time since I last made some coleslaw, but this one turned out pretty good. Patrick made sure he got at least half of what was left to enjoy for leftovers.



COLESLAW

1       head of cabbage
1       cup grated carrots
2/3    cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
2       tablespoons of lemon juice
2 - 3  teaspoons sugar
1       teaspoon salt
1       teaspoon celery seed


Finely chop the head of cabbage.
I filled my large batter bowl to the top.


Combine the cabbage and the carrots in a really large bowl.


Combine the salad dressing, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and celery seed in a smaller mixing bowl and
stir til well combined. (I made half as much the first time and then made another mixture when it wasn't enough.)


Add the "dressing" to the cabbage/carrots mixture (remember I started out with a smaller amount and then ended up making a second helping - don't worry the recipe I gave above is the doubled amount of ingredients) and
stir til it's thoroughly coated. 














Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Granddaughter Madison requested that her daddy make his peach cobbler and I seconded the motion. He learned how to make it when he was in the Boy Scouts. It has been quite a while since I have had any to enjoy, so it was a special treat for us all. You can read about his Dutch Oven Cobbler here.


No comments:

Post a Comment