Wednesday, July 31, 2019

PEACH PIE

Last Tuesday I had the cataracts in my left eye removed. Today I went back for my one-week post op appointment. Next Tuesday I will have surgery on my right eye. I have to say before I started this process of removing the cataracts from my eyes I had mixed emotions. I really wanted my vision to be better as it has gotten worse with the cataracts and the halos around lights at nights were really annoying. My eyes have always been sensitive to bright lights, but these halos were something new and extremely bothersome. BUT when you start thinking about surgery on your eyes, that is really scary.

Having gone through the surgery on the left eye, I can truthfully say, I wish I could have had it done earlier. I am hopeful that the surgery on my right eye will be just as successful. The mono lens put in my left eye is for distance and my right eye will be for close work. Since I do so much close up work, this one is really important to me. I know lots of people who say they have to wear "readers" after the surgery. I hope I won't have to, but if I do, that will be okay.

When I went this morning, I got a very good report. Hearing "20/20 vision" sounded really good. I told my doctor when he came in that it sounded like he had done good. He responded, "Well, sometimes I do things right." My husband laughed and asked him if he had stayed in a Holiday Inn Express that night.  He surprised me when he told me I could still not do any housework. I may have to find a maid since it sounds like it will be a month before I can do any cleaning (since I am doing the other eye next week).

I made this Peach Pie for my husband the Sunday before I had the first surgery but didn't get it shared before the surgery. I had made an Amish Streusel Cream Peach Pie that I loved and decided I would try to find a more traditional peach pie for my husband. He loves peach pie and peach crisp. He grew up in Georgia and was called "Peach" by his fraternity brothers at TCU. 

The peaches I used in the Amish peach pie were super ripe and super sweet. We had bought some more fresh peaches that I planned to use in the more traditional peach pie, but they were terrible. Not wanting to disappoint Wayne, I decided to use some frozen fresh peach slices I had bought for the pie. They weren't as good as the fresh peaches in the Amish pie so we were disappointed in that. But saying that, it was still a good recipe. (This recipe came from Annette Ficker from Potomac, MD in a Crisco American Pie Celebration cookbook.)



PEACH PIE

Unbaked 9 - inch double crusts

3/4    cup sugar
1/4    cup flour
1/4    teaspoon cinnamon
6       cups sliced fresh peaches (I used 2 - 16 ounce bags fresh frozen peaches)
2       tablespoons butter 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Prepare a 9 - inch pie plate with one of the crusts. (I used an 8-1/2 - inch pie plate.)


Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
In a large bowl holding about half of the peach slices, sprinkle about half of the sugar mixture over the peaches and
toss them to cover.
Add the rest of the peaches and the rest of the sugar mixture and toss to cover.
Spoon the mixture in the pie shell. If you have any sugar mixture left, just dump it on the peaches.


Dot the peaches with the butter.
Moisten the edges of the pie crust with water.


Cover with the other crust.
Fold the top edge under the bottom crust.
Flute with fingers or fork.
Cut slits or design in the top crust for the steam to escape.
Cover the edge with foil.


Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Cool on wire rack until barely warm or to room temperature before serving.

We liked ours with a scoop of peaches and cream ice cream.






No comments:

Post a Comment