Monday, July 8, 2019

FRESH BLUEBERRY CAKE, an AMISH recipe


I guess it is a good thing that I am still volunteering at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop) because it means I have at least one recipe to share with you each week. I have been trying to eat less sweets this summer to lose a measly five pounds. (It may only be five pounds I would like to lose, but they are the hardest five pounds I have ever tried to lose.) Anyway so that means I have not been spending as much time in my kitchen as I usually do. 

I found this recipe in my Amish Cooking cookbook. I took a picture of the cookbook just to share with you and then realized that the picture on the jacket cover is of the Fresh Blueberry Cake. Looking at their picture and then at my picture, it is hard to believe they only used 1 cup of blueberries. I definitely would recommend adding at least 1-1/2 cups of blueberries. Some of my square - servings only had one or two blueberries. The cake tastes great though so it wasn't a total loss.






Click here for a printable copy of just the recipe.



FRESH BLUEBERRY CAKE

1     stick (1/2 cup) butter
1     cup sugar
2     eggs
2     cups flour
1/2  teaspoon salt
3     teaspoons baking powder
1     cup milk
1     cup blueberries (Use 2 cups for more blueberries in cake)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Set aside.

Wash the berries, dry them on a paper towel.
Cream the butter,
(you can speed this up a bit by cutting it in slices)
then add the sugar a little at a time, and
cream it again.
Sift the flour, salt, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.
Add the eggs and some of the flour mixture.
Blend this slowly,
adding the milk and the rest of the flour.
(I added the milk and the rest of the flour alternately beginning and ending with the flour.)
Dust the berries with a little flour.
Add them to the batter and fold them in.

Pour batter into pan and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar or nutmeg, or whatever appeals to you. 
















Bake for 45 minutes. 

(I waited and sprinkled the warm cooked cake with cinnamon/sugar mixture.)
Cut into squares to cut. Can serve with whipped cream or ice cream or plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment