Thursday, June 27, 2019

PEANUTTY CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD

It finally happened to me. I made a flop. I wasn't really surprised that it flopped after I read the "best by" date on the package as I was throwing it in the trash. 

I was trying the recipe for a cinnamon apple bread on a box for cinnamon apple muffins. You know how they often will put a recipe using the dry mix but for something other than what the box was meant to make. I needed something to take to HPC Thrift Shop for the volunteers and I wasn't enthused about anything in particular. I had this box for the muffins in my pantry and decided to try the bread recipe on it. It smelled strong with cinnamon and apple so I decided to go on and bake it after all. 

Well, when the timer went off and I opened the oven door, I saw it had not risen any at all and didn't look very appealing.
Fortunately I had made this Peanutty Chocolate Chip Banana Bread on Sunday and still had most of it left. I just sliced it and arranged the slices on a plate and took them in for the volunteers. I explained to a few about what had happened and apologized for bringing in bread that was a couple of days old. They all said it tasted good to them. (I substituted the sugar/stevia blend for the sugar because I was making the bread for just us originally. I always try to reduce the sugar for desserts that I am making for just us.)

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe. 



PEANUTTY CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD

2     cups flour
1     cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend)
1     tablespoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon salt
1     cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1/3  cup milk (I use fat free)
1/3  cup peanut butter
3     tablespoons oil
1     egg
1     cup dark chocolate chips, divided
1/3  cup peanuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   
Spray bottom only of a 9 x 4 - inch loaf pan.


In a large batter bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
Add bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, and egg;
stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened using a wooden spoon.
Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into pan.
Sprinkle peanuts and remaining 1/4 cup chips evenly over the batter. Press down slightly with fingertips.
Bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment