Monday, June 17, 2019

PEEK-A-BOO PEACHCAKE

Last weekend my husband's cousin Fred and his family stopped by to visit with us on their mad race across the country. Hearing about their trip was exciting but also very tiring. Actually Fred and his wife Dianne, in a rented RV,  traveled across the country from Virginia to California by themselves and then picked up their son Kirby and his wife Stella and their four boys for their return trip. They didn't see everything possible coming across but everyone had their requests and they didn't miss much. We were so glad they chose to stop over a couple of days with us. 

I wanted to have a dessert available for them while they were here and chose this recipe called Peek-A-Boo Peachcake from Mrs. Lilian Geyer of Belle Mead, New Jersey. It was in one of my latest finds at an estate sale from Pillsbury Publications called Bake-Off Cook Book from the 19th annual Bake Off. We especially like anything made with peaches so it sounded like a winner.

Mrs. Geyer's recipe called for two cans (1 lb. 13 oz. each) peach slices. I wanted to use fresh peaches but didn't have any more frozen ones in my freezer. I need to replenish my supply soon since they are on sale in the stores. Anyway I bought a 16 - oz bag of fresh frozen peaches from the grocery store. I made one layer of peach slices in the cake. If you wanted to have more peaches, you could make two layers of sliced peaches and use two bags (or use the canned peaches as her recipe called for).

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe or click the print icon at the bottom of the post. You will be given the option to reduce (remove) the images to 0% for the latter.



PEEK-A-BOO PEACHCAKE

2     cans (1 lb. 13 oz. each) peach slices, drained OR 1 - 2 one lb bag of fresh frozen peach slices
2     eggs
1     cup sugar
1/3  cup milk
1     teaspoon vanilla
2     cups flour
2     teaspoons baking powder
1     teaspoon salt

Topping

1     cup reserved batter
1/2  cup sugar
1/2  cup dairy sour cream (I used fat free)
1/4  teaspoon almond extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 8 x 12 - inch pan or a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Set aside.

If using canned peaches, drain thoroughly and set aside. Not necessary if using frozen peach slices.


Beat eggs in a large mixer bowl at high speed;
gradually add the sugar,
beating until thick and lemon colored.
At low speed, blend in milk and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with a whisk and
then add to egg mixture folding in
until smooth.
Remove 1 cup of batter for the Topping.
Spread the remainder of the cake batter in the prepared pan.
Arrange peaches on top. 



Prepare the Topping by combining the reserved batter with the sugar, sour cream, and almond extract in a small mixing bowl.
Stir until well blended.
Spread the Topping over the peaches covering
all of the peach slices.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes for the 8 x 12 - inch pan or 45 to 50 minutes in a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Cool in pan on wire rack.


High Altitude Adjustment - Decrease sugar in cake to 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons. Increase milk to 1/2 cup. Bake at 375 for 50 - to minutes. 

We didn't, but you can serve the cake with a dollop of whipped topping on top.

For breakfast the first morning I made them my famous Buttermilk Biscuits and the second morning I treated them to my Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits. I did both of these posts early on when I started my blog and I don't have all the pictures I now have showing the process. I have made other biscuits though and did show lots of pictures. You could probably do a search from the search window in the right hand margin for biscuits and find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment