Friday, June 7, 2019

MINT-CHOCOLATE SQUARES

With the MO grandchildren's ball games almost every night, I needed something easy to make after we got home around 9:30 Monday night to take to H(illcrest) P(latte) C(ounty) Thrift Shop on Tuesday. 

Madison had a make-up softball game because of rain in Savanna, MO, about 45 minutes away at 6:00 and Tyler had a baseball game at "home" at 7:30. I drove her and Son Patrick to the game and my husband Wayne and DIL Lori went to Tyler's game. 

We got back to Platte City just as Tyler was coming up to bat so we got to see him strike out. (They still had about 45 minutes to play.) The next time he came up to bat, he swung early, as usual, at the first pitch. The second pitch though he made contact with the ball and hit it foul down the third base line. He was so excited! He dropped the bat and threw his arms up in the air and cheered. He didn't care if it were foul; he had finally "hit" the ball! Everyone was so excited for him also. He struck out, but he didn't care. He had hit the ball. It was just priceless. I don't know how many times he told me that he hit the ball that night.

I had found this recipe for Mint-Chocolate Squares last week in my 1001 Community Recipes, Easy Everyday Favorites cookbook and thought I would make them, but it turned out I didn't have all of the ingredients. This time I didn't forget the recipe after I bought the missing ingredients.(That's what usually happens to me.)

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


MINT-CHOCOLATE SQUARES

2        cups crushed chocolate sandwich cookies or enough to cover the bottom of the pan (I used a few extras)
1-1/4  cups chopped walnuts
1        cup flaked coconut
1-1/2  cups mint-flavored chocolate chips 
1        teaspoon vanilla
1        (14 - ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

Spread chocolate cookie crumbs evenly in the bottom of the pan.
(I crushed a few cookies at a time in a ziplock bag. I had to scrape some of the crumbs out of the bag with a spoon as the center frosting wants to stick to the bag.
When I spread the 2 cups in the bottom, I had some "holes" so I crushed a few extra cookies.

Spread evenly with first the walnuts, 
then the coconut, and lastly
the chips. (I used Andes chips.)


Combine the vanilla and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl.
(I just added it to the milk in the can.)
Drizzle evenly over layers.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool in pan and then
cut into squares.





No comments:

Post a Comment