Friday, July 20, 2012

CINNAMON-RAISIN BISCUITS




















This is another favorite recipe that I'm not sure where I got, but I do enjoy making. I can look at my recipe and tell that I "fiddled" with the original one.  

During a recent visit with the COS grandkids and their parents (aka our son, Jeffrey, and our dil, Sara), Sara asked me to make them, but that she didn't have any whole wheat flour. I told her I would make them the original way so we wouldn't have to go to the grocery store to buy some whole wheat flour.  She had never eaten them without using all whole wheat flour. (That's the way I was making them when she met Jeffrey and that was the way I gave her the recipe.)  

Well, she liked the "original recipe" so much that when we left to come back home, she wouldn't even let us take with us two biscuits to eat on the way. (I wonder if she has made them again using only whole wheat flour?) I have to admit that they taste the best using all-purpose flour and I have quit totally substituting whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose flour.  I do half and half now. You have my permission (if you need it????) to use whichever you want. I also really like using craisins in them too instead of raisins. (Do I need to mention that I use light butter, truvia, and skim milk when I make them at home? Didn't think so.)The recipe makes about 15 biscuits.

CINNAMON-RAISIN BISCUITS

3  cups all-purpose flour (I use half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat pastry flour)
1   tablespoon baking powder
1   teaspoon salt
1/4   cup sugar
1 1/2  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  cup butter
1/4   cup shortening
1   cup raisins or craisins or chopped dates
1   cup milk

GLAZE: 
 
1   cup sifted powdered sugar
1  1/2   tablespoon milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk. 

Cut in butter and shortening until mixture is crumbly. (I cut the butter in 1/4 inch slices and then use my hand instead of a pastry cutter to cut in margarine and shortening.)

Add raisins or craisins or chopped dates and 1 cup of milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Once again I use my hands.)

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times. Add additional flour as needed so dough is smooth and not sticky.

Pat dough out to 1-inch thickness and cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. (I have a glass that I like to use.)

Pat biscuit on both sides in a little oil that you have in a plate and place biscuit on a baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

While they are baking, prepare the glaze by combining the powdered sugar and milk, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits. 

I hope you will try my recipe.  The COS grandkids used to eat just the icing off, but the last time I made them, they ate the whole biscuit.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment