Thursday, July 26, 2012

BANANA SPLIT BREAD


Last night we had waffles with banana slices for "supper". I realized I would have to make something with the bananas as they were riper than I like them to be when I bought them.  

Since I haven't made my Banana Split Bread in months, I decided to make some. I found the recipe a number of years ago in a Taste of Home Cookbook.  I have so many banana bread recipes, but this one is my absolute favorite. 

As I usually do, I made the recipe using mini loaf pans instead of the 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan that way I can freeze one of them and then I am not encouraged to eat more than I need to eat. 

I have made it using 3 mini loaf pans but for some reason last night it didn't look like much in the pan.  So I made 2 very generous mini loaves. 

I also substituted truvia baking blend (only need half the amount of sugar called for in the recipe then). When I made it last night I used Better for Bread flour. In the past I have made it half and half--all purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour. It changes the taste a little unless you are used to whole wheat pastry flour. I also like to use dark chocolate chips.  

I will print the recipe as I originally found it (I think). My changes will be in parenthesis. You could also omit the pecans or use another nut if you wanted to.



BANANA SPLIT BREAD

1/2   cup butter, softened 
1   cup sugar (1/2 cup truvia baking blend)
1   egg
1   cup mashed bananas (about 2 large)
3   tablespoons milk
2   cups flour
1   teaspoon baking powder
1/2   teaspoon baking soda
1   cup  (6-oz) chocolate chips
1/2   cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one  9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan or two - three mini loaf pans.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg.

In a small bowl, combine bananas and milk.

Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl with a whisk.

Add banana mixture and flour mixture alternately to creamed mixture beginning and ending with the banana mixture. Mix well with mixer after each addition.

Add chips and nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 60 - 70 minutes for larger loaf and 45 minutes for mini loaves. Check for doneness with the toothpick in the center.

Cool for 10 minutes on rack before removing from pans. Then continue to cool loaves on a rack. 














If you want to freeze one loaf as I do, let the loaf cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap or foil, and put in a Ziplock freezer bag. You can usually store 3 mini loaves in a gallon size bag. Since I freeze loaves all the time, often the 3 loaves in the freezer bag aren't necessarily the same kind. You can write on the plastic wrap identifying the loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment