Friday, April 26, 2019

MAKEOVER PINEAPPLE NUT CAKE

It's been a while since I had three days in a row that I needed to make a dessert. Two of those days I was making dessert for Friend Fran who was hosting two different gathers of friends, the Farkle/Yahtzee group and the Quilters' Canasta group. The other day was my usual day to volunteer at the thrift shop. I decided to make a Blueberry Banana Bread that got rave reviews. I'll be sharing it next week. For the Farkle/Yahtzee gathering, I made some Butterscotch Fudge Bars that were so delicious. Look for that recipe next week also. I made this pineapple nut cake for the canasta group. I made it in a 9 x 13 - inch pan but cut six extra large pieces. (I took the leftover - two sides - home to my husband Wayne to eat.)

The recipe came from a Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine (April/May, 2008). The recipe called for 8 ounces of reduced-fat cream cheese for the frosting, but I used fat-free cream cheese and only used about 6 ounces of the brick. 

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



MAKEOVER PINEAPPLE NUT CAKE

2       cups flour
1/2    cup sugar
1/2    cup sugar/stevia baking blend
2       teaspoons baking soda
2       eggs, beaten
1       can (20 ounces) unsweeetened crushed pineapple, undrained
1/2    cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted

FROSTING:
6       ounces fat-free cream cheese
2       tablespoons butter, softened
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1       teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, sugar/blend, and baking soda with a whisk.
Combine beaten eggs with pineapple in small bowl.
Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in egg/pineapple mixture;
stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
Fold in nuts.



Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 32 to 38 minutes. Check doneness by pressing lightly in center of cake with fingers.


Cool completely on a wire rack.


For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
Add powdered sugar and vanilla;
beat until smooth.
Frost cake. 














Store cake covered in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment